Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stop 0x00000050 started after installing modem

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
hello all just got through doing the laptop now my other pc has gone down, 2 laptops and one pc went down in the same house, i think it was because of a power surge, but not sure, the laptop is done now ive a problem with the other pc, most times it lets me open up windows but then sometimes when im on the net for a while it shuts down and comes up with stop error 0x00000050, ive tried do do a disk check but cant seem to get into as when i press f8 it just askes where i want to boot from and no advanced options....... anyway any more help you could give would be great,
ps i installed a new modem and cant dind the disk with the drivers it says there was an error installing voice fax modem, trying to find the drivers on the net now, with no luck, not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. thanks guys and gals.

Advertisements

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
im trying to see if system mechanic will repair the problem but ive tried b4 with no luck, i also cant seem to run chkdsk

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i used system mechanic and it cleaned up the pc and sorted out 130 problems (not sure what they were) but still cant do a check disk, any ideas?
cheers

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try check disc this way

my computer>>right click c:drive>>properties>>tools>>check now>>ckeck mark both boxes>>click start

after you click start you have to restart your computer for check to function and it takes couple of hours so be patient

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks rushin1nd dont that and its doing its thing, will post back when its done, not sure if this will solve my overall problam.
cheers

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would run the microsoft driver verifier program to try spotting the problem.

http://support.micro...=244617&sd=RMVP

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

1. Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.
2. If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
3. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
4. Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
5. However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
6. Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
7. Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
8. Check for viruses.
9. Investigate recently added software.
10. Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

NOTE: When a STOP message occurs, Windows can create a debug file for very detailed analysis. To do this, it needs a workspace equal to the amount of physical RAM you have installed. If you resize your Win XP pagefile minimum to less than the size of your physical RAM, you will get an advisory message that your system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs.

The very first thing i do is replace the memory with known good memory and run the computer again. I have dedicated my own shop to having every possible type of memory to do this. Expensive yes, but necessary for me to quickly fix most computers. So far it has been a memory problem 1/6 h of the times i have looked at computers that are blue-screening.

SRX660

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks will give all of it a try, got to dash out to work for an hour will get back a bit later, thanks both for your help

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
just got back! thanks for the info..... but im like one of those people that get a video and the instructions are in japanese!!!!!! i see it but i dont understand it even with the microsoft link. let me shed some light the pc went down a couple of weeks ago, as did my girlfriends laptop and her sisters (we all had them charged into the mains in the country home, and i think thats where the prob was). Thanks to wannabe1 we managed to get the laptop up and running. About a month ago i installed a new modem on this before i took it to the village (where all 3 pc´s went down), and i thought that i had sorted this one out but its always asking for some file to install the modem, (i cant find the cd with the drivers). 1: i dont mind just reinstalling windows xp (if its easier) 2:could it be a problem with the modem (usb genius) and 3:thanks for your help and pacients.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
oh! and thanks rushin1nd the check disk worked and all started ok. (this pc just seems to have a mind of its own), im sure when i connect to the internet it will all go pete tong on me.
cheers

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you downloading these drivers?

http://www.opendrive...e-download.html

Homepage: http://www.genius-kye.com/

more drivers are here.

http://www.geniusnet...=portlet-action

Product Model GM56USB
OS Windows XP
Version
File Size 5.1MB
Release Date 2003/12/24
File Name 56usbv2.exe
Description driver for GM56USB V2
Product Model GM56USB
OS Windows XP
Version
File Size 2.5MB
Release Date 2002/11/29
File Name u56_2kxp_v3.exe
Description driver for GM56USB

One thing that may have happened is the power surge has burnt the modem so while windows sees some kind of hardware it does not recoginize it. You may have to see if a shop can check the modem for you to see if it works.

I have been thru many power surges and lightning strikes that has killed 3 computers, partially killed 4 computers and burnt numerous video, sound, and modem cards. I am now on a total house UPS system that has stopped the carnage.

SRX660

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi SRX660, i read that last bit of your post about memory (as the rest i got lost about the 3rd line through) (thats cos im a noob), just after all this happend i took the pc to a shop to be repaired, cos i need to get some info quick of the pc for my girlfriend, so the shop told me it was lack of memory ram so they extra ram on there,( could have done that myself lol), after a few days it all wen pete tong again. so could it be the memory ram? if so could you explain like your talking to a child lol, thanks again all you guys and gals for your help

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i posted that one with out seeing your last post sorry!, the modem is external, and in the village where all this begain there is no internet connection so it was not connected nor the modem.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i think your right when it comes to the memory problem, but not sure how to sort it out, ive installed more memory just recently. another thing i forgot to mention is that when th pc starts up its asking for hsf_cxnt.sys for the modem. is this i file of windows xp or a driver for the modem. thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of the reasons i started a small computer repair shop was because the local shops that were around did not really know how to repair a computer. The other choice was to leave to computer sitting at a big stores tech center for a week until someone could look at it. Since i started up i have gone to the point where i had to take my home phone off the business card i distribute.

I know its tough to diagnose these kinds of problems and thats where knowing a good repair shop comes in handy. your only real choice to check the memory is to run a test like memtest86 to make sure theres no problem there. Read the website carefully as memtest is stand alone and does not need to be run in windows .

http://www.memtest86.com/

The file you are refering to is a Aopen modem driver. I am wondering if you have more than one set of modem drivers in the computer. If there is delete any modems that are not on the computer. Heres the driver where that file is a part of. It may be a part of other driver packages. The hsf usually refers to Rockwell/Conexant Soft56 HSF Modem chipsets.

http://www.modem-dri...rs/59/59869.htm

I might be tempted to delete all references to any modem out of the computer(device manager) and start over and hook up the modem, fire up the computer, and then see if the drivers will install from the CD you should have for the modem.

It still sounds like your using hardware that may not have the correct drivers forWin XP. Stop errors like the 0x50 one like yours are usually driver related.

SRX660

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thanks again, i´ll run the memtest, also i think there is a modem built into the pc which is not working hence buying another. the other reason for the driver is that i cant find the cd for it so i´ll follow ur link.
cheers