Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble installing a printer

• Please log in to reply

dookie270

dookie270

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey everyone i've got a Lexmark P3150 and cant install it. The problem is when i go into control panel and click on install new printer something comes up that says the print spooler service isnt running. How do i fix this so i can install my printer?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To check the Print Spooler Service, click Start, Run, type in services.msc. Scroll down to Print Spooler. The Status should be Started, and the Startup Type should be Automatic. To start the service, right click it and choose Start. To change the Startup Type, double click Print Spooler to open the Properties for this service. The Startup Type is there on the General tab, right in the middle. After making changes, click Apply and/or OK.

Did this help?

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i went and did everything you said but when i went to start the print spooler service a window came up that said

"Could not start the Print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Review the suggestions at these two links:
http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Why_does_'Err...r_in_Windows_XP
http://www.winhelpon...m/articles/9/1/

Please post the results.

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I tried that and i got my printer to work but now after i leave my computer on for a while a blue screen will come up that says something like about BIOS memory and that the cause of it is any recently installed hardware (aka my printer). it says it shut down my computer to prevent any further damage. When i restart a prompt will come up that says windows has recovered from a serious error and then the send error report or dont send box comes up.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide the full error text. You might also check the Event Viewer for the errors that happened at the same time. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the BIOS error.

Generally, I think these errors are due to incompatible drivers. Are you sure you have the most current drivers for your printer for your OS?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The last time I had this problem, I used the following link to fix it. My problem was not with a Lexmark printer, but you might want to take a look at the Lexmark instructions:

http://members.shaw....nterDrivers.htm

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Alright so the blue screen came up again and it said

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

followed by a bunch of different stuff

btw thanks for everyones help so far

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide the full error.

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
lol alright sorry, the next time the screen comes up i'll get as much as i can. its basically like a full page of words, but i'll do my best

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I"m not trying to be difficult, but some of the "words" that come below the IRQ line can help shed light on the issue. So take a screen shot if you can, using the Print Screen button. Paste the image into Paint, save as a JPG and attach to the thread.

The IRQ could be faulting driver (for your printer I'd think since the problem started about the time you installed it), or it could indicate failing memory module(s). But again, part of the error message we haven't seen could provide clues.

You could go ahead and run the memory tests to rule that out. (the following I snagged from Keith - thanks!)

Click this for a guide to using memtest

Click here to download memtest

Allow this to run overnight, if possible. Report any errors.

So back to my question in post #6: are you sure you have drivers for Windows XP? Here's a link to Lexmark's download for a WXP driver for the P3150 Photo Printer.

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
alright so the blue screen about BIOS memory hasnt come up in a while. But now when i try to print something my Zone Alarm asks me if i want to let the pinter access the trusted zone and i allow and then my computer says that theres trouble communicating with the printer. It asks me to try reconnecting the USB, the power, and restarting my computer. All of which i've done to no avail. Any suggestions?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Does the printer function properly when Zone Alarms is shutdown?

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ahh! i dont understand. I uninstalled the printer on my computer and then tried to reinstall the software. Now i cant even install the software. After my installation process gets to a certain point it will just stop and nothing else will happen. The Lexmark 3100 series all in one center has been installed and when i go to open it up a prompt comes up that says my printer driver hasnt been installed and to reinstall it.

btw i went to that site and downloaded the latest drivers and the same thing happened

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Is your 'print spooler' service 'started'?