Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hiyo!

• Please log in to reply

Gold_Yoshi

Gold_Yoshi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hiyo everyone! I'm new here, and I do like helping other's out too, but there are just some problems that I never can get solved (mostly hardware related) and so I came here. I am in the Younger-Teenager age range. (13-15) I love computers, but just want to shoot mine sometimes...enough about me, have you ever gotten so angry at your computer that you nearly/did punt it out the window or something else? The worst I've seen so far is a giant dent a friend made when he kicked hi computer's side one time...

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you like to help, you can join GeekU and learn how to remove malware. We are always looking for more helpers.

I often wanted to blow my computer up, but never got around to doing it. :whistling:

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Iteresing... I'd been longing to blow this old machine up sooner or later... but first I wanna know how are you guys (Geeks to Go!) goin to teach me bout spyware removal? I'm kinda interested now... .___.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ware-t4817.html

You complete logs much like the ones in the malware forum, and when your good enough you get to do real ones. I think you do 6 underclass logs, 6 upperclass logs, then one of the malware staff infect themselfs and you have to clean the computer for them (they turn amazingly dumb while doing this). And then your let loose in the malware forum its self.

I think that is how it works, it is a while since I went though it.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
What Michael said is basically it. Geek U has tons of information about analyzing hijackthis logs and infections; when you first start, there's a lot of reading to be done. The under and upperclass logs are old hijackthis logs; you have to diagnose the infection(s) and post a response exactly as you would if you were replying to a real user. Each log is graded, and you may not move onto the next one until you've passed the current one. Once you've completed upperclass, you're given Live Logs; these are the ones in which people actually infect themselves and you have to clean them up. In addition, there is a new section on the registry, in which you learn all about the registry and do practice exercises as well.

Once you've been cleared through these levels, you move to Check My Fix, in which you pick actual logs in the Malware Removal forum and help the users, under the guidance of Geek U instructors. This step will continue until it's been decided that you're ready to graduate. When that happens, you're given the title of Trusted Helper and allowed to assist in the Malware Removal forum by yourself.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Welcome to G2G! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

have you ever gotten so angry at your computer that you nearly/did punt it out the window or something else? The worst I've seen so far is a giant dent a friend made when he kicked hi computer's side one time...

i've never destroyed one out of anger (basically because if i'm angry at it...i'm wanting to keep it and get it working again)...but when i was younger (your age or a little older) i would go to the junk yard, city dump, or anywhere that i could find computers (or printers, or copiers, etc..) that were being thrown/given away... and i would do things to the machines....i used to make a lot of home made explosives...used those to blow a few monitors up....but the funnest is to build a trebuchet (kind of catapult) and see how far you can fling them into a field...they make awesome noises when they fall from about 100 + feet in the air

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

have you ever gotten so angry at your computer that you nearly/did punt it out the window or something else? The worst I've seen so far is a giant dent a friend made when he kicked hi computer's side one time...

i've never destroyed one out of anger (basically because if i'm angry at it...i'm wanting to keep it and get it working again)...but when i was younger (your age or a little older) i would go to the junk yard, city dump, or anywhere that i could find computers (or printers, or copiers, etc..) that were being thrown/given away... and i would do things to the machines....i used to make a lot of home made explosives...used those to blow a few monitors up....but the funnest is to build a trebuchet (kind of catapult) and see how far you can fling them into a field...they make awesome noises when they fall from about 100 + feet in the air

Yeah we have all heard that story before. And how you destroy your old hard drives :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

Yeah we have all heard that story before. And how you destroy your old hard drives :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Yeah we have all heard that story before. And how you destroy your old hard drives

funny you mention it...i've got the guts of one on my desk as we speak

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

Yeah we have all heard that story before. And how you destroy your old hard drives

funny you mention it...i've got the guts of one on my desk as we speak

It would be a surprise if you did not :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
gold yoshi, if you don't have enough time nor the inclanation to join the school here, you can always subscribe to those forums that you are most interested in and see if you can follow the reasoning of the replies given, after a while you youself will have enough ability and confidence to reply in your turn; however, the better path is to join the school but that means a lot of time and effort on your part.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Without going into a great school like the one thats going on hear you will not be able to remove malware from a machine. It's much more complicated now, a few scans just won't do what they used to do. Trying to remove the harder malware out there without knowing what your doing may result into a computer failing to boot up, among other things. If you are at all interested in learning about the removal of malware I highly recommend you sign up here, it one of the best if not the best malware school out there. If you don't take it, it probably wouldn't be wise to help an infected user, this is the reason why you can't post in other people topics in the malware forums.
James