Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot boot: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,
I have problems booting my computer. The exact scenario:

I turn it on and log in as usual. About a minute later, the screen goes blank and the computer reboots itself unexpectedly. Then it runs ScanDisc, after completion I have to wait about 3 minutes to get a BSoD telling me IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with STOP values 0x0000000A (0x00000080 0x00000002 0x00000000 0x804E9E13). I reboot and select Use last functional configuration (or something similar), Windows successfully load, but then I can't log on, because the keyboard stopped working. I click on Turn Off, select Restart, upon which the computer takes about 3 minutes to give me another BSoD (no error specified this time and turns off after few seconds, so I have no STOP values). Then another boot, at which the internal beeper beeps repeatedly and very quickly. It can only be stopped by pulling the mains cord out.

In the last week it has happened frequently. I always received the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after ScanDisc.

I haven't installed any new hardware lately. Some of my computer specifications
  • Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 400, about 4 years old
  • Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz, 256 MB
  • Windows XP Home Edition, SP1, last install on May 2006
I really have no idea what is wrong. If someone could help me out, I would really be grateful. A big thanks in advance.

Hai

P.S.: Sorry if I'm writing too much. I'm just trying to be as informative as possible.

Edited by Hai Mac, 18 January 2007 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Hai Mac...

Sounds like a RAM problem. Is there a pattern to the beeps you hear or is it just a series of evenly spaced beeps?

wannabe1

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
A really fast sequence of beeps, that won't stop. So I suppose they are "evenly spaced". :whistling: I somehow managed to get Windows running and re-installed all drivers. I am not sure if it is going to help...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running the Microsoft Memory Diagnostics on the machine. The beeping, as you describe it, is almost always related to bad or poorly seated RAM module(s).

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
The problem stayed so I opened the cage and cleaned it from dust, let's see how it works...

Though a bit late, I'd like say thanks for your time and help, anyways. :whistling:

Cheers