Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to broadband

• Please log in to reply

Genkichan

Genkichan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently switched from V21 to EzeeDSL (broadband) but haven't used the new settings yet as my computer was broken at the time. Because of a problem with my computer I had Windows reinstalled. I installed drivers for my old ADSL modem and tried to set up a network connection for it, but on the connections settings it only gave me the option to connect through Ethernet. I bought a wireless router with a built in modem. I have set up the settings but it says 'unable to connect to internet' whenever I try to connect.
Any idea what's wrong? Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

Genkichan

Genkichan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, yes there is an exclamation mark next to:

Network Adapters: Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
Device type: Network adapters
Manufacturer: Linksys
(The router is currently connected to my computer through ethernet rather than the notebook adapter)

Modems: PCI Modem
Device type: Modems
Manufacturer: Unknown
Status: This device is not configured correctly (code 1). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver
(I'm presuming it doesn't matter too much that the internal modem doesn't work as it's only 56k and I have broadband?)

There is also an exclamation mark and a question mark next to:

Other Devices: Network Controller
Device type: Other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown
(I'm not even sure what this is)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the network controller is probably the ethernet NIC that you're connected with at the moment...you'll need to get the driver for that device...do you know what make and model the card is? (if this is a "prebuilt system" like a dell or compaq...what's the make and model of the pc?)

the wireless card may need a new driver as well..

i would think that the PCI modem is an internal dial up modem? do you have a normal dialup modem in the pc?