Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS Battery Replacement and Loss Settings

• Please log in to reply

ths320

ths320

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am very sorry if this is a repeat posting but I did try a search of this forum prior to posting.

I replaced my CMOS battery and did not copy down my CMOS settings prior to doing this (DUHHH!!!). Now it seems that I have lost the CMOS settings. I have a "homemade" PC operating with WIN XP Home.

Can anyone shed some light on obtaining these lost settings? I have tried "googleing" this topic without a lot of success.

Any assistance someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
THS320

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
During the boot process you can enter the CMOS settings interface. You have to do this before any of XP starts loading, usually by pressing the delete or F1 key during boot. If you press the escape key it will usually present the boot screen and tell you what key to press to enter setup. But some motherboards requite that you change a jumper setting or enter an adminstrative password. If you know the part number of the motherboard go to the maker's website and download the manual. You may also be able to find it by googling the PN filetype:pdf or PN +manual.