Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! SP2 Uninstall Disaster-

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the line of text in red below. Then click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close the boot.ini window and any others that are open.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWSO
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWSO="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Your device drivers are located HERE. Or we can see if we can get them out of the old directory. Not knowing if the drivers in the old directory are corrupt or not, I would opt for trying to download and install the drivers from the website first.

Advertisements

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thanks. I deleted & saved the line you told me to. I downloaded all of the drivers listed. Should I install them all?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and download all of them. We'll install them one at a time with a reboot between installs. Install the chipset utility first...let's see how that goes.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Intalled Chipset & reboooted. So far so good. Is there something that might happen that I'm looking for? By the way, when I rebooted, I no longer had the option of the oter XP.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look in Device Manager...have any of the yellow icons disappeared?

We eliminated the boot prompt with the boot.ini edit... :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The base system has diappeared. On your OK, I will continue going down the line with the installs, and check device manager after each one. Does that sound like a plan?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like THE plan! :whistling:

Let me know how it goes.

Once the drivers are installed, we'll get about removing the old directory.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
All of the drivers on the CL51 link have now been installed. The list only shows "network connection" under "other devices" with the yellow. Any clue as to where I might find that? I have a disc that came with the laptop with a bunch of drivers on it and also an intel disc.

Everytime I reboot I am so grateful for what you have done!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would think that the driver you seek will be on the cd that came with the machine. If memory serves, it's a realtek network device. If the driver isn't found on one of the cd's, look on the other. If you still can't find it, we'll get it from realtek.

Have you recovered all your data? Is the machine running as it should?

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The Realtek Ethernet Controller was on the list of those I did. How would I find out what brand my "network controller" is? Or are they one & the same? Machine functioning fine! No, I didn't get my "stuff" yet. How do I do it?? :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition...run it on the machine. In the left pane of the report, expand (click +) Network. What is listed under that catagory?

To recover your files, open "My Computer" and double click on "Local Disk C:". Double click on "Documents and Settings", locate your old user account folder, open it, and then open the "My Documents" folder.. You should see your files in there. Copy the files you want to recover and paste them to the same location in your new user account folder. Do this for any folder you have saved your files to (My Documents, My Pictures, My Music,etc...)

When you have done that, we'll remove the old directory and get the machine cleaned up...it's been through a lot the last couple of days...and so have you. You've done a great job!

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
It looks like Realtek Ethernet through Everett. But I installed that. And Intel Pro Wireles. On device mgr. it says mfg. unknown, location is PCI bus 1, device 2, function 0, code 28. Of the 2 driver diks I have, one is (duh!!) the Driver CD for DCL51A. Should I try to reinstall Realtek?

Question. Will I have to reintall te softwate for DVD, Nero, Netgeat Router, Wireless Mouse? Probably, huh?

I am working on switching the files now. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sure have learned a lot from you.

Edited by Manners, 20 January 2007 - 09:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, try to reinstall the realtek using the cd.

Unfortunately, yes...you'll have to reinstall many of your applications. I wouldn't trust the ones in the current Program Files folder. Before you reinstall a program, look in the Program Files folder to see if there is a folder for that program in there. If there is one, delete it before installing the program again.

Send me another WinAudit report. The old one isn't doing me much good anymore...it shows the old install. :whistling: I should be able to find the network adapter in there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The new report shows only errors that installing SP2 should clear up...sure looks better than the last one. :blink:

Let's go ahead and remove the old directory so you'll have some room for SP2.

First open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Under the "Programs" tab, click on the "Manage Add ons" button. If "Shockwave Flash Object" is listed with the file "Flash9.ocx" (you may have to scroll to the side to see the file name), click on "Shockwave Flash Object" and then tick the radio button below the box to "Disable" it...apply the change. Once we have deleted the old directory, you'll need to "Enable" this again by ticking the "Enable" radio button.

Now open "My Computer" and double click on "Local Disk C:". Right click on the folder named Windows and choose "Delete"...accept the deletion. Close the My Computer window. This would be a good time to activate Windows if you haven't done so.

Click Start, then All Programs and click on Windows Update. Download and install all critical updates...including Service Pack 2.

SP2 may also include the driver you need, so give that a go and if we still end up missing a driver, we'll scrounge it up.

That oughta keep you busy for a bit. :whistling:

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
OK. I have copied tons of muic, etc and am now ready for the final steps. Before I begin, did we resolve the driver issue? If I re-install from the disk that came with the machine, do I want Wireless LAN Driver, PCMCIA, Chipset or LAN? I also have an Intel Pro Wireless disk.

Oops! Just re-read the last line of your message so please disregard the above.

Edited by Manners, 21 January 2007 - 12:04 AM.