Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Greed or Foul Play?

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

SACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - The family of a California woman who died after participating in a radio station's water-drinking contest will sue the station, their lawyer said on Thursday.
Jennifer Strange, 28, a mother of three, died from suspected water intoxication after taking part in Friday's competition, "Hold your wee for a Wii." About 20 people tried to out-drink each other without going to the toilet to win a Nintendo Wii game console.
Sacramento station KDND-FM responded by firing 10 staffers, including several DJs. The DJs had joked about people dying from water intoxication and teasing Strange about her enlarged stomach.
"The station knew this was a dangerous and potentially deadly stunt, but flippantly dismissed the dangers," lawyer Roger Dreyer said in a statement. "Hearing the tape, it's very clear they knew of the dangers and could foresee that this could lead to Jennifer's death."

Strange — one of 20 contestants — initially joked lightheartedly with the show hosts as she and the others chugged bottled water. But as the hours wore on, it came down to Strange and one other woman contending for the grand prize, and she admitted to having a splitting headache and feeling wobbly. Strange quipped on air that "it looks like I'm pregnant again."

After finishing in second place, Strange rushed with contest winner Lucy Davidson to the station's bathroom to vomit. Strange called her employer to say she was too sick to come in and headed home. Her mother discovered her body that afternoon.

A preliminary review by the Sacramento County coroner found that she probably died of water intoxication, also called hyperhydration. People who drink too much water too fast can dilute their body fluids, creating potentially deadly shifts in their electrolyte levels.

An attorney representing Strange's husband and three children on Wednesday dispatched a news release announcing plans to file a wrongful-death lawsuit against the radio station.

Los Angeles Times

The thing that bothers me in this incident is that a grown, supposedly competent (sane) woman was so greedy that she participated in this stupid, ill-thought-out radio stunt, paid a horrible price (her life!) and now her family wants to SUE for wrongful death. Ten people have lost their jobs, three kids have lost their mom- but whose fault was it? The radio djs? I think not. The dead woman could have said, "No." and declined to participate. No one forced her at gunpoint to drink two gallons of water at once. She could have prevented the whole tragedy herself, but she wanted the prize. She ended up with second place Justin Timberlake tickets (who is Justin Timberlake, anyway?) and dead, with a grieving family. But is her family willing to admit that she did a dumb thing? No. They want monetary compensation- it's the radio station's FAULT that she died, not hers! (yes, she did sign a waiver, and any idiot can look up how excess water affects you!). Oh, no, according to the family, she was taken advantage of by the djs, and it's their fault she died because she drank too much water in a promotional contest. It couldn't possibly her fault for being so eager to win the prize that she sacrificed her life. The biggest losers here are her three young children, and I do feel badly for them, but should her family be entitled to compensation from the radio station because of her own carelessness with her life? Only in America...sigh...
Johanna

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gotta love the american judicial system...."i did something completely stupid...but...you let me do it so it's your fault"....this is EXACTLY what's wrong with our country...we might have an idiot president, a bunch of crooks in congress, and all kinds of other things that are wrong...but MOST problems can be blamed on the fact that no one in this country feels that they should be held acountable for their actions....

kid puts a cat in the drier...well it was beavis and butthead's fault...cuz they did it on the show....wait...so..it's not the parent's fault for letting their kid watch the show? it's not the kid's fault for not knowing that driers kill cats? it's not the schools fault for letting this idiot past the 2nd grade? of course not...it's MTV's fault..

a bunch of kids are wrestling in the back yard...one jumps off the house and breaks his neck....it's tv wrestling's fault for being so violent....you mean it's not the kid's fault for being a complete and total moron and thinking he can fly? it's not the parent's fault for not teaching their kid right from wrong? it's not whatever idiot parent's fault for leaving a bunch of idiot teenagers in the back yard completely unsupervised? of course not...someone arrest ed mcmahan(sp?)!

lady spills hot coffee in her lap at the drive through and burns herself..it's mcdonald's fault...you mean...she didn't know that coffee is hot? has mcdonalds started selling iced mochas? you mean she couldn't have..i don't know...DRANK SOME COFFEE AT HER HOUSE AND NOT IN HER CAR?...nope...it's that stinking clown's fault...get him some red and yellow stripes!

why is it so hard for people to translate these small lawsuits into the current crime rate? some dude robs a bank and blows 12 people's heads off...well...he was beaten as a child and he lacked education and lived in poverty...so it's not his fault he robbed a bank and killed people...he's a victim of his circumstances...let's not go to hard on him...

i'd love to see the stats of how many successful insanity defenses there are...there's NO SUCH thing as temporary insanity...you're either crazy or you're not...and a freaking crime of passion? PLEASE......

i think my head might explode soon...or i might get into a fit of rage and punch the dude in the cubicle next to me for typing to loud....well..no bother...it's not my fault..i'll just blame johanna for posting this thread...i was so angry i couldn't control myself...i must've been a victim of circumstances who was temporarily insane

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

someone arrest ed mcmahan(sp?)!

In this case, I think we'd arrest Vince McMahan. :whistling:

Excellent points by both of you, though. Some of the lawsuits that win people millions of dollars today are just insane. Smokers winning millions off of the tobacco companies? I guess RJ Reynolds stuffed the cigs in their mouth, and held their lips shut while they lit the smokes. :help: It's absolutely ludicrous the things that we can sue...and WIN...for.

And we wonder why everything costs so much? Let's blame "inflation", shall we? :blink: More likely, we should blame GREED.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of older tobacco cases were genuine for a long time the tobacco industry advertised that smoking was good for you, i think the main idea behind an action against a tobacco company is to get them to stop selling a both lethal and addictive product however they would rather pay people off than risk the product being outlawed.

I feel sorry for the kids genetics like that, darwin was a little slow on this one, you know not only is it just basic common sense on top of the fact that your own body telling you to stop you did a bad thing on top of that its just basic high school chemistry to know that the two things we rely on most H2O and O2 are both really dangerous chemicals in there own right oxygen is both toxic and combustible at high concentration(you can die of oxygen poisoning easily) and water will both dissolve and dilute pretty much anything as that woman found out.

I think maybe legal action should be taken against the radio station not because it was there fault but because it was a stupid dangerous thing to do although it wasn't there fault they didn't take satisfactory precautions or even check that it was safe with a doctor first, but it should be a criminal proceeding, not wrongful death but corporate negligence or negligence on the DJs side they have a fair share of the blame themselves.

olderwhiskeynandfasterhorses

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I chew, smoke, cuss, swear, drink, and do a lot of crazy things, but I know that if I do, its my fault and no one elses. (I sure as heck don't do drugs though.) People need to learn that its not some disease's fault that their kid shoots other kids or the firearm manufacturer fault either. People should stop pointing the finger and take responsibility for their actions. However, I'm not gonna say that I wouldn't do the same exact thing, but I know that I probably be able to hold it long enough. I also know (or at least pretty darn sure) that my family wouldn't sue because I was an idiot.

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
sorry for the double post, but "probably *wouldn't* be able"
I should probably be proof reading my postst better