Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter will not run

• Please log in to reply

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I purchased a new PC w. Windows XP 3+ years ago. For the first 2+ years I could use the Disk Deframenter without problem. Then I started getted the following message:

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume:(C:). Please fun chkdsk/f."

After a lot of searching I was told that "chkdsk" was the XP version of ScanDisk which I had had on Windows 98. I was told to:
1. open My Computer
2. Right click on hard drive & choose properties
3.Click on tools tab
4.In the error-checking section, click on check now.
5.Place a check in both boxes
6. Start
7. Yes
8. Reboot

Did all of the above. I still can not use Disk Defragmenter, and I continue to get the same message about chkdsk. Also, I now get the following message during start-up:

"Checking file system on C
the type of file is NTFS
Can not open volume file system for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk."

I am lost. I am also at a pretty basic skill level. Not stone age, but fire is still a novelty. I will be grateful for your thoughts.

Regards

Tom

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type defrag c: then press enter

Do you get a window with defragmenter, if you right click the task bar, click task manager, is windows defrag running in applications

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I clicked on start, then run, I entered derag c: and pressed enter. A box appeared, and almost immediately disappeared, much to quickly for me to take any action.

Thanks and regards

Tom

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the taskbar, click task manager, file, new task, type defrag C: then press enter

If you get the same result

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

Type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Keith,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I lost a day to U.S. football. In any event I followed your instructions multiple times, and I continue to get the following message:
"Checking file system on C
The type of file is NTFS
Can not open volume file system for direct access
Windows has finished checking the disk."
This message appears during start up after the second reboot/restart, not after the first. The Defrager still does not run.
I have Windows Defender, McAfee Virus Scan and Spyware Doctor on my PC, could any of these programs be interfering with the Disk Defragmentation?
Thanks and regards
Tom

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need winzip or similar for this

http://www.kessels.c...frag/index.html

Unzip it then click JkDefrag.exe

If it runs can you note the point at which it stops for more than a minute

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you run (as suggested by Keith): start > run > cmd > fsutil dirty query c: What result do you get. Does it tell you that the volume is "dirty" or is it "not dirty"? If it is dirty: start > run > cmd. Now type fsutil dirty set c: . Check again with fsutil dirty query c: to find out if the volume is dirty or not.

If you have your xp installation disk try the following to repair the defragmenter: Enter the disk into the drive. Start > run > sfc /scannow. A dialog box will open up showing the progression of the process. When it reaches the end the dialog box will disappear without confirmation of results or anything. Check to see if you still have the problems.

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Keith & The Skeptic,

Thanks. I downloaded the program from kessels. It ran just fine, with no major interuptions, finished and closed. I have no idea where it is, or how to run it again. The Defragmenter in Windows still won't run. I tried entering the command/query that The Skeptic suggested, and the reply is that it is dirty. I do have an XP reinstallation disk from Dell. If I use it as suggested will it change anything?
Regards
Tom

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to set the dirty bit as mentioned in my previous post?