Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

command prompt pops up and cant do anything!

• Please log in to reply

indarkflames

indarkflames

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, yesterday I got a bunch of spyware and virus infections. I have been fixing them but today, I keep getting a System32:Lzx32.sys BSOD. I would log in XP, and within a few minutes, the BSOD would pop up, forcing me to reboot. I did a research on this on google (on another computer) and I came upon this page;
http://www.bleepingc...topic77339.html

So, like it states on that page, I downloaded rustbfix.exe and combofix.exe and I ran rustbfix.exe. Rustbfix.exe said something like "the first step has been fixed, now reboot to activate blahblah on startup" or something along that line. I rebooted. Now, even in safe mode, whenever I log in XP, command prompt pops up, and just sits there. Its the only thing on the screen, besides my wallpaper. When I shut the command prompts off, there is nothing on the desktop, not even any toolbars or the start bar, yet I can control+alt+delete.

PLEASE, any kind of help will be appriciated!

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
removing malware on your own is risky

you can seriously damage your system have you tried this site

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

and once you completed to what may apply to then you can post your hijackthis log on this site and its a 3 day wait

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

they are very thorough here

then if other problems persist you can return back here in this forum

Edited by rushin1nd, 19 January 2007 - 03:03 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
What happens if you execute explorer.exe from the task manager? is explorer.exe even running? (I think not)

-OCM770-

indarkflames

indarkflames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
when I execute explorer.exe it opens up 'my documents' and I can browse through all the files in my computer. But nothing else pops up (as in the start menu or the toolbar)

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, going bakc to post one, can you answer some questions for me please.

1) what is BlahBlahBlah

2) Are you SURE you removed the malware completely? rushin1nd is totally right in his post and if you are not sure then head over to the malware section please.

3) what does it say at the top of the command prompt (the path ex. C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe)

-OCM770-

indarkflames

indarkflames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1) Let me see, when I ran rustbfix.exe, it said that it had completed the first step, and that after the reboot, it would run the 'avenger' and go on with fixing the problem. After the reboot, I have been facing this problem.

2)I have no idea. I am stuck in this situation at the moment.

3)just says cmd.exe

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
can you boot into safe mode?

-OCM770-

indarkflames

indarkflames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes I can, but it is the same scenario. Command prompt is there and nothing else.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this but you need your xp cd

from start>>run>>sfc /scannow>>click ok>>windows protection file will open to verify all your files are in place>it might ask you for xp cd to do any repairs

then open my computer and right click on c drive

properties>>tools>>check now>>click both boxes>>then start >>then restart your computer and this proceedure takes about 2 hours

indarkflames

indarkflames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunetly the computer didnt come with an XP CD. It came with a 'recovery CD" which I had to use to reformat my computer a while back. It basically puts the computer into the state as it was bought. I believe it doesnt have any recovery tools.
Also, the CD is at my dorm, and I am home. I wont be there until Sunday.