Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing Computer

• Please log in to reply

Itsibitsi

Itsibitsi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem is as follows, when playing an online MMO i experience a click sound coming from my computer tower (not really the hardware persay, more like the front of the tower where the restart/power buttons and lights are located) followed by a reduction in the speed of my CPU heatsink fan, when this problem occurs, in-game the screen freezes up (i can still move the mouse cursor, but the game GUI is unresponsive and frozen) momentarily, then resumes rendering as if nothin happened, sometimes (occuring more recently and frenquent) the computer stays in the lag/frozen state and my mouse cursor also freezes and can only be revived by a system restart. In addition to this problem, i have had un-explainable pixilation garbage which improves with the addition of more internal cooling fans and is fixed with a external box-fan.

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800E Deluxe
Grfx Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro256
RAM: 1Gb Kingston DDR 400

for the sake of explaination here are some screenshots of the "pixle garbage" that occur without the box-fan present to cool the machine
unassisted: http://img165.images...problem2mk3.png
internal fans: http://img247.images...tlyfixedhg3.png

any suggestions would be very helpful, as potential problems that might cause this i have considered the mobo/cpu or grfx card might be overheating (which would explain the improvements to the random pixil confetti) or possibly the powersupply is faulty, which explains the fanspeed reductions... in any event i just wanted a few opinions on the right fautly piece of hardware before i shell out some unnecessary cash on properly working stuff.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Based on your troubleshooting, I would concur that you have a temp problem.

Are the fans clean?
Are the fans in good condition? ie: they don't wobble or make noise?
Is the CPU fan and heatsink clean? The graphics card fan?
Are there restictions in the cooling due to cables interfering with the flow?

The problem can also be thermal paste on the cpu heatsink is bad.
What size power supply? The wattage?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
as 123 said, its most likely a temp thing. but, it could also be a GPU thing. as for the clicking in the front, i think there is just a piece that is loose and is hitting against the case because of the fan's problem.

BTW, WoW is too expensive..