Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

simongrima

simongrima

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My Microsoft Office Outlook keeps destroying the content of attachement received - exe, pdf, doc ect

how can I stop this

Thanks

simon

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Destroys the attachments in what way? Exactly what happens?

simongrima

simongrima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The files are in the attachment and when I check them on for example Yahoo or Gmail - they open ok - once they are downloaded onto Outlook - the story changes - I click on the attachment or save them on my PC from outlook and when I open them it tells me they are damaged beyond repair.

Can't understand the problem

Simon

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Has this always been a problem or is there a time when attachments downloaded and opened okay? If you can determine a time when the problem started, what might have happened on your computer just prior?

Is it all attachments? If not, can you determine a pattern? Is it just certain file types or files sizes that get corrupted but not other? If certain, what file types or sizes have trouble?

Do you have an antivirus or firewall software running? Try disabling it before going into Outlook and downloading your email.

Please provide the full error mesage when opening an attachment. You can take a screen shot of the error by pressing the ALT and the Print Screen buttons together (or the entire screen by using just the Print Screen button). Then paste that image into Paint, save it as JPG, and attach to this thread.

simongrima

simongrima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I am using AVG free version 7.5 and windows firewall - could this be because of an update in the firewall or the AVG update to 7.5? (I have them on other systems and this did not happen) But this started following the avg update I think? (see attachment)

I noted that It happens on the lager files - but with KB.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Simon

Attached Files

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should try disabling AVG, downloading your mail and opening an attachment.

The error message you attached was from Adobe. Just to confirm: was the attachment that generated that particular message a PDF file? I've seen Adobe give this messge when trying to open non-Adobe formats with Adobe.

simongrima

simongrima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, this was from adope - but I can assure you it is an adope file - even from acess and word and XLM it does the same. I will try to disable the AVG email scanner.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Simon