Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI KT3 Ultra 2 wrongly fitted with XP 2600 Thoroughbred 266Mhz!

• Please log in to reply

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok Now I have had time to calm down and think clearly after a nights sleep :whistling: I have checked the Bios and Current CPU / Host Clock reads... 1666Mhz / 133 Mhz which is ok isn't it for this XP2600 I think?
That still leaves me with it constantly rebooting when it gets near to XP starting up! Someone told me it may be the power supply (a Q-Tec 400w) so I have removed the power to the DVD and Cd recorder but to no avail as the same problem occurs. The pc currently has a DVD rom / cd recorder / usb2 pci card / sounblaster 5.1 live pci card / 200Gb hard drive / 40 Gb hard drive / Floppy / Geeforce 4 4600 graphics card ....
The other thing mentioned is that seems to be running at the same temp as the XP1600 which is about the 58-60 degree mark with no loading...I was told this was too high but the air flow seems to be good and the cooler is the stock one which is pretty good..I have a feeling the temp sensor is faulty because it does not have a problem running 98SE.....I am beginning to think I should have got a newer MB!
On another point is it possible that the software that said this was an XP2600 barton 266Mhz on my pc was wrong and in fact it really is a XP2600 running at 333Mhz which my sons MB wouldn't like? Or would this still not work with 98SE on his other HD? I'm just trying to think of all the permutations :blink:

I sill have no idea if the jumpers need atention or not? I guess they do not if the Bios reading are ok?

Edited by bada55, 23 January 2007 - 07:23 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Took a quick look at the manual and the only real jumpers you have are for the clock speed(behind the 3rd PCI slot) which all 4 pins should be jumpered for the 133 bus speed. The CMOS( bios) in which 1&2 pins jumpered is normal mode. Then you have a memory voltage jumper ( below the memory slots) which normal is the3-4 pins jumpered.

Can you keep hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up and then get into safe mode. Is the computer stable in safe mode( does it run a while).

I will be back to tell you more.

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes I can get into safe mode without any problems and it runs...
I can get into 98SE and it runs ok with that
I have tried using a desk fan blowing into the side and got the temp down to 50 degrees and also disconnected virtually everything accept what is needed to the Power supply and it still reboots...
Now getting back to the XP2600 processor. Is it possible the processor is really the 333Mhz type and that is what is causing this problem? I ask this because the only reason I thought it was a 266Mhz was because I used a piece of software called 'SiW' which is meant to be accurate in giving me precise info on what I have installed. The box I got the XP2600 in was heat sealed in one of those Athlon clear case complete with fan and all the usual AMD holograms...Now the label showing through the plastic case says it's a 2600+ with 333Mhz front side bus but a sticker was stuck near to this from the suppliers saying AMD XP2600+ Thoroughbred 2.13Ghz 266Mhz FSB and as my SiW picked it up as a 2600 Thoroughbred I assumed the suppliers label was correct.

What a mess this is turning into isn't it! Thanks again for your assistance

Sould I remove the cpu to check the number on it against those Athlon lists I have heard about off the net to see if I am correct? Maybe that would save a lot of time and trouble?

Edited by bada55, 23 January 2007 - 09:37 AM.

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Latest update.....
I managed to check more details in safe mode. It seems to think it is running an XP2000+ so I was told to try uninstalling the cpu driver through device manager in Safe mode and then restart and maybe it would read it correctly but it still shows XP2000+ One good thing that came from it though was that it did not reboot amd went into xp and was ok for a few minutes before I switched it off...Maybe just a flook? Who knows :whistling: So how do I get it to read the CPU correctly or am I right in thinking I may have the wrong CPU installed and it could be a 33Mhz after all? If you think I should remove it and check the number on it I may as well do that as I have run out of ideas...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry, i had a emergency at home and needed to take of it right away.

Here is a method of finding out what you have in the cpu's.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

I have been looking around and found out some things.
1. The Thoroughbred AMD cpu was availabe in 266 bus and 333 bus speeds. The multiplier for the 333 bus was 12.5 x 166(1/2 of 333)(2083 real speed) while the 266 bus multiplier was 16 x 133(2133 real speed). You can read about this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon

The point here is 2 things. One is that your son's motherboard was never built to run BARTON cores or a 333 bus thoroughbred core. The second thing is the bios update was to be able to run 2400 and 2600 Processors with the 266 bus. If your 2600 thoroughbred core is a 333 bus core then it will probably register wrong in the bios. When you multiply the 12.5 (266 multiplier) x's your MB bus speed (133) you get your 1666 processor speed which is the reason your son's computer is saying that.

This is also probably the reason for the unstability in the computer.

Look here for easier ID on your CPU. About 1/3 down is the 2600 cpu's.

http://balusc.xs4all...-cpu-amd-k7.php

If you click on the picture of the cpu's in the right hand column a large picture will popup. On the edge of the CPU is a identification tag with a set of numbers look for where is says AXDA2600DKV3C. The last letter tells you what the bus speed of the cpu is. A "C" there is a 266 bus speed, while a "D" there is a 333 bus speed.

If you had a "D" there you have a 333 bus thoroughbred.

A second thought here is you have said your son upgraded his computer. Did you perhaps already have XP installed on the hard drivebefore moving it to another motherboard. If so that would account for the instablility. It is probably running off the wrong chipset drivers. If i am wrong in assuming this please correct me.

On your temps, the athlon can run up to as high as 85°C without problems( other than a hot room). I had a athlon 1.0 gig computer that i ran for a couple of years as a server for 24/7 and it ran at 60° all the time. I never thought much about it back then and i never had a problem. The only problem AMD has is it does not have a built-in shutoff that kicks in when temps get too high. Intel cpu's will shut down when temps get too high. So i would look for a good heatsink like the zalmans to cool them down. This amd 2400 runs at 40° all the time with a92mm 7000 zalman in it. My barton runs a bit hotter at 47°.

http://www.directron.com/xpcooler.html

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hiya once again...Than you for all that info :whistling: Well...No he hasn't done anything else to his pc this is a cpu upgrade only.

Before I heard back from you I was just involved in looking at the jumpers. They were set closed which is for cpu clock to 100Mhz so I remved them to set them open which alows the clock to go to 133Mhz. Now it is running but the cpu is listed as an athlon but nothing else and shows it running at 1.3Ghz I think.... I wish I new how to check the settings in the BIOS because they have changed now but their seems to be so little I can change if need be? I will double check and restart it to find out what the BIOS is reading for you....OK this is exactly what it says..
cpu vcore on power up = 1.650v (this is in blue so I cannot alter)
cpu vcore select = default (this is in white and therefore can alter whatever)
current cpu / host clock = 1250Mhz / 100 Mhz (in blue again)
cpu host / pci clock = default (in white again)

Then I also noticed another heading that may give me something else to alter...

current fsb frequency = 100Mhz
current dram frequency = 133Mhz
Dram Clock by SPD
Dram timing by SPD

If you can let me know what/how to alter any of these settings that would be great as I am not impressed with it running at !.3Ghz at present obviously. (This is all assuming that this is the 266Mhz 2600 of course. Thanks

Edited by bada55, 23 January 2007 - 03:27 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
according to the manual with no jumpers on the pin's in the bus jumper behind the 3 PCI slot the bus is set at the 100 bus speed. For it to be set to the 133 bus speed all 4 pins must be jumpered and the pins are numbered from the bottom as pin1 & 2 and above them is pin 3 & 4.

I would not mess with the dram( memory) timing yet. That is a whole nother can of worms to open up.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 23 January 2007 - 03:39 PM.

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Oh well it works ok so at least he ca use it for now....For some reason they said off and on and I took it to mean off meaning closed and on meaning open(ie no jumper).......Hmm I think I am going to need to take the cpu off and take a look at it arent I...I hate replacing cpu all the time as it is increasing the risk of an installation error and frying it. I will keep you posted tomorrow. I must admit it is looking increasingly like it is a 333Mhz one :whistling:

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Oh well it looks as though my settings have been at fault more than anything else. See my new post if you are still interested.

Thanks for your time