Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to contact DHCP - I need HELP

• Please log in to reply

YMark

YMark

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello. I've searched and searched this forum and some others trying to understand why I am having so much trouble with my connection. Here's what's going on:

I have a Netgear wireless router that is hooked up to my cable modem. I've got a laptop (wireless) and 2 other desktops computers (Computer A, Computer B). Unfortunately, only the laptop and Computer A can connect to the internet. Computer B cannot seem to even communicate with the router (this is wireless using a Linksys access point).

I've checked the cable and it's connected.. pinged 127.0.0.1 and have succeeded. However... when I try to ping my IP, it times out. I've tried the ipconfig/release, ipconf/renew but it times out at renew with

"an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I've tried the Netsh test... to reset my TCP/IP and that did not work. I've even uninstalled (via Regedit) and reinstalled TCP/IP but regardless of what I do, it keeps getting that 169.254.XXXX address.

My router is set up as a DHCP Server to distribute IP addresses to the LAN network and all computers, including Computer B (the one with all the trouble) are configured to obtain an IP address/DNS server address automatically.

I've reset the router... restored it to factory settings, reset the modem, unplugged the cables, reinstallled software... but whatever I do, I just cannot seem to connect with Computer B. I've even tried switching the connection ports (Computer A is LAN1, Computer B is LAN2)... but realized that Computer A can connect through both LAN1 AND LAN2 but computer B CANNOT!! How do you like that? STubborn *(&#(*&$.

Oh and I've also switched out access points but still ended up getting the same problem. Please help!!! Thank you.

BTW, I can connect to my neighbors wireless network with my wireless Computer B and my wireless laptop but I CANNOT connect to my own network using Computer B.

Advertisements

YMark

YMark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Late last night I was able to contact the DHCP and get connected. The only thing I can think of is that I held the reset button in on my cable modem instead of just powering off.

I can now receive email, however I am still unable to get to web pages.
Also, I can ping my other PCs now but I am getting about a 25% packet loss.

Any ideas? Thanks

YMark

YMark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
37 views and not a single reply. Come on Geeks, you're letting me down. :whistling:

Besty

Besty

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sounds similar to my problem which no one seems to help with. :blink:

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry888382 :whistling:

• Pip
  • 3 posts
your talking pluggin and unplugin cables? desktops hardwired--?? i've had brand new nic cables bad! and when you move a cable somtimes "stuff " happens. try known good cables

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
what security software are you running?

Go to start /Run /open=msconfig. Choose the Boot.ini tab then select "safe boot" and "Network". Click OK and restart. Once in safe mode check your ability to surf.

YMark

YMark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

what security software are you running?

I'm running AVG free edition.

Go to start /Run /open=msconfig. Choose the Boot.ini tab then select "safe boot" and "Network". Click OK and restart. Once in safe mode check your ability to surf.

Did what you suggested. No luck surfing. Ipconfig reveals 169.254.x.x

YMark

YMark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I fixed the problem. I know how I fixed it, I just don't know why it worked.

I uncabled my desktop, took it over to my router and used the WIRED lan connection. Everything worked great. I disconnected the LAN cable, and reconnected the wireless access point.

Everything is up and running like nothing happened. Enabled MAC address filtering, everything still great. Have been up for about 5 days, not drops, everything is working great.

Any ideas what I dd and why this worked?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
It's an odd problem. Wireless issues are often very difficult to diagnose, since we can't "see" the connection, all we can see is the after effects. There may have been some wireless interference local to that computer, or it just may "not like" a channel adjacent to the channel that your router is using. As long as things stay stable, you should be ok.