Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any Ideas

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have upgraded my computer several times, in the last few months. However I have recently been having issues with ATI's catalyst drivers, so I uninstalled them. Upon rebooting my pc Windows decided that my copy of windows needed to be reactivated, can anyone think of a reason why this would be the case, as I have not changed anything significant on the Windows point system, I just uninstalled drivers.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Activation checks ten keys points of hardware on the majority of Windows loads.

This usually happens when significant pieces of hardware have been changed in the past, and at some point another change is made, in which Windows decides it wants reactivating. Even a change of driver from the Catalyst back to "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" can count.

The whole issue of genuine Windows and legal software has been ramped up by Microsoft in the last year or so and it would appear that the Genuine Advantage Program has altered the way that Windows Activation works, by enforcing it a bit stronger, therefore making it easier to trigger a reactivation wanted message.

Just go with the flow and reactivate the Windows, expect more of the same with Vista :whistling:

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeah I did the reactivation no problems, I was just startled because i reinstalled windows when i changed mobos and that was the last hardware change done so when I uninstalled the drivers i didn;t expect to have to reactivate.