Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INTERNET

• Please log in to reply

petesar

petesar

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HI ALL,I HAVE WINDOWS XP HOME AND I HAVE AOL BROADBAND,AND IM USING AOL 9,SOMETIMES WHEN IM ONLINE I JUST GET DISCONNECTED FOR NO APPARENT REASON,I HAVE PHONED AOL ON SCORES OF OCCASIONS AND DID EVERYTHING THAT THEY HAVE ASKED ME TO,I HAVE EVEN DONE A COMPLETE SYSTEM RESTORE,AND I STILL GET THE PROBLEM,I HAVE GOT LOTS OF SPYWARE PROGRAMS RUNNING AND SI I KNOW THAT IT ISNT THAT THATS CAUSING THE PROBLEM,HAS ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS AND IF SO CAN THEY TELL ME HOW TO REMEDY THIS AS ITS GETTING ON MY NERVES.DOES ANYBODY RECOMMEND A BETTER BROADBAND PACKAGE WITH FREE HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT,ALSO A PACKAGE THAT COMES WITH A FREE MODEM AND FREE CONNECTION,AS IM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF CHANGING INTERNET PROVIDERS

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which country are you in

petesar

petesar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
united kingdom

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Just a polite reminder that typing in ALL CAPS is generally interpreted as shouting and is not within bounds what is considered proper etiquette. Some folks might shout a correction. I just gave you a polite reminder.

Are you using a fire wall, like zone alarm or some hardware firewall? I would assume AOL tech support would have worked with you to rule those out before having you do a complete format and reinstall.

Personally, I refer to AOL as "internet for dummies" (no offense meant!). If you have broadband with AOL and they have checked their stuff and say it is good, and have you jump through a multitude of hoops and it still doesn't work, let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages and look for another ISP.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
UK online have 8Mb broadband at 40 a month with free router

Broadband 8000

BT Yahoo have free router if you sign up online for 2Mb Broadband at 27 a month

BT Yahoo

Have used both, BT were OK but they said they could not do 2Mb on my line, which is odd as UK Online managed it and it usually downloads at anywhere between 800 to 100 KBytes/sec

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Should be 800 to 1100 KBytes/sec

petesar

petesar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thankyou every body for your help i am going to look for another ip,once again thankyou all.have a good day