Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Graphic Card Driver

• Please log in to reply

ldude69000

ldude69000

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

It may seem to be a stupid question but everytime i try to install graphic drivers i end up screwing my computer up. My last computer broke pretty much because of that. SO i just wanted to know exactly how to install the driver correctly. I hear for GeForce or something you have to uninstall the current driver or something. IDK i just wanted to get like pro help to do this.

P.S. every time in the past i've installed the driver by myself, and i played a game and it appeared all screwed up - like red, and green lines everywhere.

Anyways thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Even tho i have been told that it is not necessary with the newest drivers i always uninstall the Nvidia drivers in device manager and then reboot,. I will then install the new drivers. Back when i had a Geforce 4-440MX card i installedthe new card and then installed the new drivers without uninstalling the old Geforce 2 drivers. I ended up with a computer that continually rebooted as soon as it started loading the video drivers. I got into safe mode quickly to find out what wrong and only just caught that there were 2 sets of drivers for the video in device manager. By then i had already tried a repait install which gave me 11 different users of which some i could not access any programs, etc. I finally ended up doing a wipe and clean install and never had a problem after that.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The FX5200 isn't a very good graphics card, but that's beside the point.

Problems with screwed up games on this card are usually caused by out-of-date drivers or a card that's faulty. Therefore use the latest drivers:
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_93.71.html

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok well i did everything u guys said, but i have a feeling the old driver has been somehow reinstalled... Becuase the version i downloaded ( and supposebly installed ) is like 9. something, and i clicked run, dxdiag and got a version like 6. something ( my old version i'm pretty sure ). Any idea how to fix this? Somehow my old graphics driver is like reinstalling itself?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Running the dxdiag will only tell you what version of microsoft DirectX you have. To find out what version of Nvidia video drivers you have you will have to go into device manager and open up the properties of the display adapter and see what version it says in the drivers tab.

SRX660

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Oddly enough i went to the device manager and the driver is still in 6.14 something wh en i downloaded like 9. something. Any ideas?

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I tried again today with no avail. And this time i used a program called nasty file remover. So after i uninstalled the driver, restarted, i used it, and it found one file ( i'm pretty sure the file that keeps installing the old driver) and i said delete. I deleted it and re-scanned, and it was still there. I thought what the heck and tried installing the new driver, but in the end its the same version.

Would it make a difference if i said that under add/remove programs, ATI driver comes up?
Thanks in advance.

DabCol

DabCol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
1.]
Download the = FREE Driver Clean Pro [Lately it seems the free version is disappearing?] = still available from;

http://www.softpedia...load-20706.html

Note the RO site is the best to use!

2.]
Install = Driver Clean Pro Program
3.]
Uninstall the NVIDIA program from = Add and Remove = Cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard = check and make sure the uninstalling has deleted the NVIDIA Program folder from = C/Drive = [or Programs Folder =or do a look for in search for NVIDIA] if not delete same. [I found in using = Add and Remove = that sometimes the NVIDIA Program folder and data was not deleled]
= When you use the Driver Claen Pro, please note you must follow the instructions to the letter. Instructions found as a = “Read ME" = file found with = “Driver Clean Pro” = in your Windows XP Program Menu =
5]
Please Note! I Install my MSI Nvidia driver in "Safe Mode" [Using Windows XP Home]

Edited by DabCol, 23 January 2007 - 04:34 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've always had good luck upgrading nvidia drivers. I would download to the desktop and shutdown all anti-virus, anti-spyware programs and just about anything else in the lower right hand corner. Then double click on the icon and it installs.

But in this case I would try uninstalling that video driver in add/remove programs, reboot and say 'no' to any wizard that wants to install those drivers. Double click on the 'driver package' on your desktop and install it. (shut down all utilities first)

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i just tried exactly what you too said ( but i have no anti-virus ) and it still ends up the same version (6.14.10.9371 ). This is really annoying me? ANy more ideas lol?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts

i just tried exactly what you too said ( but i have no anti-virus ) and it still ends up the same version (6.14.10.9371 ). This is really annoying me? ANy more ideas lol?

were you sucessful in deleting that old version? If so I think you'll have to use that driver cleaner mentioned above.

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
well i did everything you said, and it ended up the same old version. So i guess it didn't delete the old version ( the old version is 6.14.10 and has been forever, and after installing the new one, it still ends up 6.14.10... ).

EDIT: OH WAIT nvermind i guess it did change... because i thought the first number would change but i guess it changes after the first number ( that makes sense ). Lol i feel stupid.... well thanx for helping me with that and sorry for being a retard.

Edited by ldude69000, 23 January 2007 - 05:15 PM.