Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible worm? data replicating... help!

• Please log in to reply

sweetclass

sweetclass

• Pip
  • 3 posts
possible worm??? other issues??? files / folders replicating !!! no idea where from... all files / folders with same name not necessarily same modification date...

some of the story:

tower hard drive c had low memory ... backup hard drive f in same tower had no memory problem... my computer guy replaced both hard drives with much larger memory... data was mirrored from old c to new c... also old f to new c... data was mirrored from old c to new f... also old f to new f... (btw: first thing computer guy did was run most updated avast antivirus on entire system)

subset of data on old c was also backed up on usb flash memory stick... this was used to transfer data to laptop...

when i got tower back, old c drive folder (see first paragraph) was blank on both new drives even though computer guy watched data transfer and knew it was there... in addition, new drives have SEVERAL copies of other data folders / files... from various time frames in terms of "revision" or when created / modified - not just the last updated data...

i have two outlook email addresses... computer guy transferred old data to new drives... iteration that now exists is not completely old... and not completely new... i have no idea as to the ryhme or reason of the "now" data that exists... most of my folders are missing completely... some are duplicated or triplicated... yet the "repeated folders" are not even the same iterations... i can't seem to get a handle on where this stuff came from. same with the replicated folders / files in my hard drives...

before i gave the tower to my computer guy, i ran most updated avast antivirus on my tower (all drives)... my laptop (all drives)... and the flash card... no virus detected on any... i also ran most updated spybot on all three... all three were clean... i just ran the same yet again on the new tower, laptop, and flash card... still clean... YET THE PROBLEM EXISTS...

btw: when i used my flash memory to compare files in my laptop, i WATCHED as a folder was replicated on the laptop hard drive called "Removable Drive E"... all info from the card was actually replicated onto the laptop hard drive! i removed the flash memory, deleted the replicated folder both from the hard drive as well as the recycle bin.

am now concerned that i may have inadvertently backed up my original c drive with corrupt data to my original f drive as well as to the flash memory which then transferred it to my laptop. and further that now the same corrupt data was brought to my new tower drives...

i re-ran antivirus and spybot - still all clean.

what can i do to 1) identify the cause of the problem; 2) fix the problem

i would appreciate any help!!! i use this computer both for personal as well as my business... have been DOWN for a week and a half! HELP!!!

please keep in mind that i'm only moderately technical...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

sweetclass

sweetclass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks... per your advice, see new posting in forum "malware removal - hijack this logs go here" #888696.

post includes results of diagnostics.