Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 7 vs Firefox

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
There's one site I go to all the time that's giving me trouble. BTW, I have IE 7.0 and Firefox both installed, but I've been using IE for so long that I'm just more comfortable with it and prefer to use it. When I open the site in IE, it appears to load correctly, but I can see in the status bar at the bottom, that it never quite finishes (says 1 item remaining). When I click on the links I want on the page, they won't take me where I need to go (live video feed). If I go to the same site in Firefox, it loads with no problem. What's the difference?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you post the website link I'll check it out for you at my end on IE7.

IE7 (and IE6 for that matter) uses some of Microsoft's proprietary technology in it's engine, whereas other browsers stick with non-proprietary HTML standards. That website has quite likely not been tested with IE7 to check for 100% compatibility with it's proprietary code. With a few websites, that can mean the site doesn't work properly when viewed with IE7. But for the vast majority of websites it's not an issue. You seem to have found one of the few, unfortunately.

Will know better when I know the URL of the site and I can test it for myself.

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It's a site my students love to check out every day. It's www.africam.com (What I'm specifically looking to be able to do is to use the Nkorho Stream (top left) and the cameras along the left side.
Thanks for looking into this. It's not a huge deal, but it is frustrating!

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi again sloth88

Yes those links work for me in IE7 so all that stuff I said about web standards being to blame was a load of hogwash as far as this particular site is concerned.

Now, the only possible difference between us on the software side is that we could be using different versions of Windows Media Player, which is what that website uses to play the videos and cam-shots. I'm using the latest version for XP which WMP 11. You might be using an earlier version such as the default XP version (WMP 9) and that does not work at all for me on my favourite BBC news website. But it does work with WMP 11.

I'm only guessing you aren't using the latest version for XP SP2.
You can get it here: (download link is at top where it says "Turn it up"):
http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx

Edited by pip22, 25 January 2007 - 01:09 PM.

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks very much! I figured it was something easy.