Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't update my laptop's graphics drivers

• Please log in to reply

Sean McC

Sean McC

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Having just got GTA:Vice City this morning, I get a Ialmrnt5 error when the opening cutscene starts.
Apparently I'm using a Intel( R ) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller and I can't update anything. I've been to the Intel website and downloaded the necessary updates and none of the updates will work, instructing me to contact my laptop's manufacturer.
So I went to the Toshiba website and installed something that was supposed to help but it hasn't done anything and the game still crashes when I try to start it. My laptop is (only) just over two years old. Please help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've been reading what other forums have to say on this issue, and the consensus seems to be that the intel graphics chip isn't up to the job of provided the necessary 'grunt' for games like GTA, Sim City etc.

On the other hand, I also found a possible fix which I quote below in full to show credit where due. I take no credit for it myself, and no blame if it proves useless!

"Ladies and Gents` I give you.....

The answer to your prayers:

http://www.opendrive...e-download.html

Note that this is only if you have an intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controler although I don't know if it's compatible with others.

For years I've searched for a driver update to stop the display driver error which keeps happpening in many of my games however I kept getting the error message when trying to install the driver intel told me to, saying how it cannot be installed and that I must contact my system adminisrator.

Then today I got annoyed and downloaded every single driver I could find in google for my chipset and this one worked!!!!"

Enjoy!
Borzi

Edited by pip22, 24 January 2007 - 04:47 PM.

Sean McC

Sean McC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I was able to download the file you linked to from here.
It seems to have 'unlocked' the ability to update my drivers - which I could not do before. Although I was also able to download a couple of savegames which enabled me to freeroam the game, bypassing the cutscenes.
No trouble with starting the game from scratch now it seems. The opening cutscene plays out fine then I can play the game. Thanks for your help!