Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW SLI Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

RobKeem

RobKeem

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm the process of upgrading my current MoBo to a SLI System I do not want to have to reinstall the Op system but would it be better to reinstall in the long run or will the new MoBo & Vid Card run ok with out a fresh install?

OLD SYSTEM:
MoBo = DFI nF4-DAGF Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Memory = 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Vid Card 1 = XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Monitor = Hanns·G HN199D / 19" / 8ms / 600:1 / SXGA 1280 x 1024 / DVI / Black
Power Supply = Ultra / X-Finity / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Titanium Blue
DVD Burner = LITE-ON White 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW
Operating System = Windows XP Pro

NEW SYSTEM:
MoBo= ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Memory = 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Vid Card 1 = XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Vid Card 2 = BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Hanns·G HN199D / 19" / 8ms / 600:1 / SXGA 1280 x 1024 / DVI / Black
Power Supply = Ultra / X-Finity / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Titanium Blue
DVD Burner = LITE-ON White 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW
Operating System = Windows XP Pro

Advertisements

ICDistribution

ICDistribution

• Pip
  • 8 posts
operating system wise it would be fine to leave it be just reinstall the nforce package but get the nforce 4 [SLI] install. as for the rest if your system is full of crap wipe and reload.. always makes you happy in the long run.

RobKeem

RobKeem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I have Norton Ghost and I have backed up the old system. So I was thinking just do a fresh install and reinstall all my programs. Then just replace the backed up programs folder into the new programs folder with Norton Ghost? Would that work ok?

Edited by RobKeem, 23 January 2007 - 10:25 AM.

ICDistribution

ICDistribution

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It will to an extent. what you want to do is copy over the program files to the new folder.. then run each program individually afterwards incase you have to track down dll's and what not. but a clean install will give you the best performace with the new video card.

ICDistribution

ICDistribution

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It will to an extent. what you want to do is copy over the program files to the new folder.. then run each program individually afterwards incase you have to track down dll's and what not. but a clean install will give you the best performace with the new video card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually....with windows XP if you change the motherboard you HAVE to at least run a repair install...IMMEDIATELY on first boot...i.e. you install the mobo...and when you boot the first time..you run a repair install from your XP disk....XP is extremely tied to the motherboard and doesn't do well with changing hardware like that

ICDistribution

ICDistribution

• Pip
  • 8 posts
actually since both board are based on an nforce 4 chipset you will NOT need to run a windows repair. The issue dsenette is reffering to occurs when the new board has a chipset thats completely different from the original board. then the os will blue screen at boot because usually the hard drive controllers conflict. new controller old software.. this is not the case with boards of the same chipset..

RobKeem

RobKeem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think to be safe I should go with a complete fresh install that way down the road I will not have to try and figure out what went wrong. If I install everything on the new board it will make troubleshooting easier down the road. But then again I'm planning on going with Vista as soon as they work out all the bugs. Will I be doing over kill if I'm going to just install vista in the next year or so?

Thanks for the input so far.... but if it were your PC what route would you take?

ICDistribution

ICDistribution

• Pip
  • 8 posts
you should be basing that on your graphic\number crunching requirement. im a hardcore gamer and i do 3d animation so windows xp pro is still my os of choice. though vista is a great os its more for visual and tech entertainment .

RobKeem

RobKeem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks allot appreciate your help.