Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Phew...!!!! I thought I might be going crazy. I was wondering why you (James) were bringing up USB when it has 4 USB ports. Luckily, I wasn't as confused as I thought.

Edited by kidnova, 24 January 2007 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
So for a recap-

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $132.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor $316.00

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $74.99

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $200.00

Pioneer Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 5X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI DVD Burner – OEM $31.99

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $89.99

Leadtek TV2000XP/EXPERT PCI Interface TV/FM Tuner Card w/REMOTE $38.99

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick $109.00

Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS Black 0.8 mm SECC Chassis, Plastic Front Door ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $79.99

Hanns•G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers $184.00 X2

totaling about $1500 after everything. How does it look? Everything is compatible I think, I will have to double check. The rebate on the video card expires in 6 days, so if that is definitly the one I think I should at least make a move on it soon. Thanks again!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
I don't see any problems.
But I'm not sure if your 1500$ includes taxes and shipping costs. Just something to look out for when you do the purchase.
James

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I would forgoe to tv tuner card unless you really want it, i have had nothing but probs with them, and personally don't see the need for them.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yes, looks good.
-The motherboard allows you to upgrade to any availiable Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme Processor.
-The processor is a good for what you are planning to do.
-250G is about the minimum I would recommend.
-The corsair ram is good and will last you quite some time.
-I have had no problems buying these DVD's.
-I have the exact same card in one machine. Good card. Plays all the good games and has dual monitor support, comes with an attchment for CRT monitors.
-I also have a leadtek TV tuner, the software can be a bit clumsy, but the hardware is good value. I'm not sure if thats digital television on the card. A problem I have seen with these cards is getting them to work with Vista. They may need extra drivers.
-The power suppply is good quality and will give you more than enough power.
-The sporano is a nice case, I like the window model.

Edited by sarahw, 25 January 2007 - 06:58 PM.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks everyone. The tv tuner is just a nice feature and will just take out the reason for both another TV and radio in my room, and for the price it SEEMS to be good with some good reviews, and Vista drivers are available. I still need to decide about Vista, I am a little worried about compatibility with some of my programs for programming micros... Thanks for all the help everyone! Hopefully I can get it all together within a month. Any more recomendations still welcome!