Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovery disks on upgraded machines

• Please log in to reply

nethkhar

nethkhar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi all,

I have a product recovery cd of windows xp home edition with sp2. It states on the cd that it can only be used with the fujitsu siemans computer system.

Can someone please tell me if this means I can't upgrade the computer.

I want to change the hard drive motherboard and processor, would this make the disk useless.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

Nethie. :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Every so-called "recovery disk" with either Dell or Fujitsu-Siemens on it that I've seen has turned out to be a bog standard Windows CD that doesn't function any differently from a standard OEM CD. Therefore I see no reason why it wouldn't work on a new board.

This is different practice from recovery CDs that you make yourself through an application that is preinstalled on the computer, because those are tied to the original hardware and won't work on any other board. Same practice for the recovery partitions invoked by bashing F10.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
all, dell, hp, compaq, acer , etc. factory recovery cd's are just that, recovery cd's. they are linked to original hardwre and become invalid if system hardware is changed.