Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home edtion

• Please log in to reply

marshalowe

marshalowe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Why does it take forever for my profiles to load and why so so many applications look like they are running when I hit cntrl. alt delete?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please bear with me while I gather additional information to assist you with your issues.

1. Please confirm the operating system, including service packs. If XP, is it Home or Pro?

2. Long time to load profiles
Do you mean it takes a long time for Windows to load and finally show your log-on accounts? Or is after you click a username and you have to wait for the Desktop to load?

If neither, please give as much detail as possible to explain exactly what takes a long time.

3. Ctrl-Alt-Del - Task Manager
Are you look at the Application tab or Processes tab?

4. What antivirus and/or antispyware software do you have installed? Are they current and do you run regular scans? If you haven't scanned lately, please update the definitions and run a full scan. If anything odd shows up, please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

marshalowe

marshalowe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
XP home edition, McAfee antivirus..
It is slow when I click on my icon that goes to my profiles
The process tab has a kizillion things showing with lots of HIGH numbers on it.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay.

First, be sure McAfee is totally updated, then run a full scan. If anything shows up, follow the instructions in Post#2 to post to the Malware forum.

Then, let's look at the Processes tab. I have 63 processes running. You can see the total in the lower left corner. High numbers - is that CPU or Mem Usage that you're looking at? For me, CPU is almost all zeros, except for System Idle (99), IExplore.exe (03) and a couple of others. Mem Usage is another story - I have 11 processes that run 10,000KB and over. My highest usage is just under 80,000KB. How does that compare with yours?

Now, for loading the profile - you can try to add a new Windows user account. It's fairly simple, you don't lose any data, and it's just as easy to reverse if you find out it isn't necessary. See Microsoft article 555473 for full details:

To create a new user account:
Go to Control Panel.
Click User Accounts tool.
Select the Create A New Account link.
Give the account a name and click Next.

NOTE: Ensure that the account type is Computer Administrator (You can see the option button displayed in the process.)

Click Create Account button.
Logoff from the current account, and login with the new account.

** To really check in your situation, reboot then try to log in with your new account. Did it take a long time for the desktop to fully load?

marshalowe

marshalowe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling: Ok, so last night my computer froze as I was trying to purchase checks online so I had to turn it off with the power button. When it rebooted an error message came up something to the effect that a dll didn't load and it couldn't flush (not sure if that was wording) or force or something and that the system couldn't load properly. I rebooted again and with help from Gateway I ran the recovery F11 and did recovery/backup. It finally came on but all my pictures, documents and so forth are not where I can find them. Do you think I will be able to get them back?? Gateway is sending me a recovery disk that I was supposed to have originally but uggghhhhh.....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Let's figure out where your stuff went. During the F11 recovery with Gateway tech, which option did you choose? Full System Restore (Destructive) or Full System Restore (With Backup)?

marshalowe

marshalowe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It had the 2 choices as you stated and then another button that said advanced and they told me to see what it said and it said System Restore with backup. That is what I ran and it show an icon saying it was backing things up.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you logging into Windows with the same username you did before the recovery?

Browse your C:\ drive, Documents and Settings folder. See if you find your old username and a new username. If you do, look under the old username for your documents.

marshalowe

marshalowe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok I'm at work today so I'll try that when I get home and I might have to ask again. It showed when it crashed that a .dll was missing. Why and what makes those things happen.?