Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video problems?

• Please log in to reply

Kria

Kria

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!
I'm not sure if this is even in the right place...this could be hardware related or driver related or windows related.....I have absolutely no idea.
The problems:

About a months ago I managed to stupidly get a metric crapton of viruses on my computer. I got rid of most of them, except for one downloader - I could get rid of the virus, but not the process that downloaded. The only way I could find to get rid of the process was windows repair, and manually deleteing the file there. Which I did, and soon after that, my computer started going wonky.
So, I reformatted, because it seemed like the easiest solution at the time. However, it didn't fix the wonkiness. So, I'm not even sure the previous virus story has anything to do with the the problems. The computer likes to randomly restart itself - only when something is going on, but it doesn't matter what that something is. It's happened during games, while on the interweb, during virus scans. But if I leave for a weekend and leave it on but not doing anything, it's fine. It doesn't happen every time, and the frequency rises and falls. I think it's about once a day, of late. Sometimes I get message telling me that windows recovered from a serious error after it restarts, sometimes I don't. In addition to this, if I try to play videos on my computer, I only hear sound and often the monitor starts blinking on and off and the cpu usage spikes to the point that all there really is to do is close the video. It stopped for a little while when I reinstalled monitor drivers (Samsung 940Bx - LCD) but has come back, so it may have nothing to do with those drivers.

Sorry this is all a little garbled and confusing....I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I'm thinking of reformatting again, just to see what happens, but since that is a pain, I would love to not have to. Thanks for any input!

Kria

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're right, it could be vid driver, hardware, or windows itself.

The vid driver... sometimes having the latest driver is not the best idea. If your vid card is an older one, try downloading and installing the driver made during the time period of your card.

hardware... you might want to check your temps and your fans during the time of the crashes... if you can predict when it'll happen, of course. You can use download Speedfan Here

windows... as far as it goes, it could be anything in windows! I already know you understand that just by reading your post. As far as playing video, it could be directx, or divx codecs that are the problem. Seems like a codec problem since it appears that windows "believes" the right codecs are present and plays the videos anyways... with sound but no video.

My recommendation... since this is a basically fresh install that hasn't been running for very long, I wouldn't bother troubleshooting it. I would reinstall rather than try to work with a possibly bad install. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to figure out how to fix a bad install! :whistling:

makai

Edited by makai, 23 January 2007 - 04:34 PM.

Kria

Kria

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure that nothing is over heating.
The error that I get when it restarts is on of those "a serious error has occurred in Windows. Would you like to send an error report?" ones. The code on it is:
BCCode:ea BCP1: 88DL8020 BCP2: 894C84C8 BCP3: 895FC038
BCP4: 00000001 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Unfortunately, everything except the OS version and Service Pack means less than nothing to me.
Anyone speak Error Code?