Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter-Strike Ping Spikes >.<

• Please log in to reply

ddotccDPU

ddotccDPU

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I just signed up for Comcast cable internet in my new apartment and the first time I get into a CS server I continually get lag spikes for no reason whatsoever. I'm playing on Chicago servers, and I LIVE in chicago. I tried adjusting my rates much lower than what I ususally do but I still get constant Loss and Choke. I also exited my x-fire and AIM programs to help get rid of the connection load. I called Comcast asking if there was anything they could do and I went through the standard procedure of power cycling my modem and restarting my PC, but to no avail, the ping spikes still occurred. I attempted to connect to multiple servers and there was no difference. Is this possibly an issue with my ethernet port on the back of my PC? I never used to have this problem when I played at home in Michigan using the same port. Oh, and one last thing, if it DOES happen to be my network port on the PC, I cannot connect to the modem through USB because there are NO DRIVERS FOR XP 64! >.<

My modem: Motorola SURFboard SB5120.
Provider: Comcast in Illinois (Chicago)

Also, I am not using a router of any sort. i'm plugged directly into the modem.

Advertisements