Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3GP_Converter problem

• Please log in to reply

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have recently gotten my iPod Video. I also found out at that moment that the iPod video supports mp4, m4v, mpeg4 formats, and not avi or wma. So I decided to surf around looking for video converters. Then I came across a forums that said the PSP and iPod uses the same format. So I asked my cousin what he used to convert files for his PSP, he sent me 3GP_Converter.

Now I do not know much about this converter, but it has been successful, and I have been able to watch videos on my iPod video. The problem now is that I can't watch most of the videos I watch now on my computer. It would give the error box saying the video player encountered a problem and has to be ended. This happens with Media Player Classic, WinAmp, RealPlayer, and Windows Media Player. The only player that doesn't give this problem is VLC Player, but VLC doesn't run well on my computer.

I tried to reinstall Xvid and Divx codecs, but still no luck. I don't know if it's a codec problem, or if the 3GP_Converter messed with my computer's video codecs.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click a media file, click properties, is it set to open with the converter instead of a media player

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh, I forgot to include another problem. Whenever I open a folder with the video file that doesn't open up correctly in the media players I have, it would say Windows Explorer has encountered a problem. So basically, I won't be able to check the properties of the video files. But I will still try to.

Edit: It is set to open with WinAmp.

Edited by Ancient_Slayer7, 24 January 2007 - 07:37 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have finally completed all the steps listed above. I'm still getting the same problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of media player have you got?

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It says 6.4.9.0 when I check the properties, but I can't view certain video files or thumbnails. There are some that I can view, but I'm not sure what format they're in. But I definitely know that I can view iPod format videos (mp4, m4v, etc..). I also tried reinstalling Winamp and Media Player Classic, but still no luck.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click custom from here

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Check optional updates to see which version it has

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry to be so hard to work with, but click what custom? I'm a bit lost from here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click the link in post 8 it takes a minute to load, then there will be an express or custom option, click custom, it will scan then show you any updates, if media player isn't one, click optional updates to look for it

Advertisements

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I didn't see a Custom button until I started the update. I get to a certain point where it tells me my Windows isn't genuine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click this and then click any contact Microsoft links if necessary

http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
There is a contact link, but it's for users who have purchased the Windows Genuine Advantage kit. Am I supposed to click on that(I haven't purchased the Genuine Advantage kit)?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If that is the only one there

Ancient_Slayer7

Ancient_Slayer7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The link gave me a number to call. "Contact us at: 1-866-530-6599"