Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

icon arrangement on desktop

• Please log in to reply

van105

van105

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a definate pattern of icons I use on my desktop but they constantly change positions. How can I lock them in position so I dont have to read each one everytime I want to use on. Thanks for your help. van105

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Right click on a open spot on the desktop.
You will see "arrange icons by".
Click on the drop down menu and choose what you want.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Right-click on a blank area on your Desktop. Under the menu "Arrange icons by", uncheck "Auto Arrange", then arrange your icons in the location you want them to stay.

If you want to go a bit further... in my signature is a link called Desktop layout. This is a direct download link, so clicking on it will download a zip file.

Once you get the zip file, extract Layout.dll to your C:\windows\system32 folder.
For the registry file, extract it to your desktop and double-click on it. You will be asked to confirm installation into your registry... just confirm "yes". The registry will be updated.

What will happen is you will now have two additional entries in the menus if you right-click on My Computer, or the Recycle bin. The entries are... Save Desktop icon layout, and Restore Desktop icon layout.

Once you arrange your icons on your desktop, right-click on the Recycle bin and select "Save Desktop icon layout". This will save the postitions of all the icons on your desktop. If something happens to where your icons get scrambled again, all you have to do is right-click on the Recycle bin again, and choose "Restore Desktop icon layout". You may want to periodically save the icon positions as you add or rearrange icons on your desktop.

After you're all done, you can delete the registry file you extracted to your desktop.

makai

van105

van105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for your help