Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display issues on laptop

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
I am having some issues with a laptop. it is a dell inspiron 9100 and when i boot up and it goes to the Windows loading screen, it goes black after that. i can hear that my programs are starting up but have nothing on the screen. i can boot in to safe mode and then i get the usual view on my monitor. i have tried updating the drivers to no avail. i reset all the display settings while in safe mode also to no avail.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check the screen saver and your hybernate settings.I would also check to see if you have the monitor settings in windows set to turn the screen off , if you have both bios and windows set for screen turn-off(power saving mode) it could cause this. Otherwise it is probably that the video drivers are not loading in windows but the microsoft basic drivers are loading in safe mode.

SRX660

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
ok, i will take a look at those power settings. if i boot in safe mode and remove the driver and then restart, it will boot into normal mode with the basic 640x480 display, but then if i try to make a change after that then it blacks out again, so it appears to be a driver issue, but certainly worth checking the other stuff too.

thanks!