Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I reset Admin on PC?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AndyD

AndyD

• Pip
  • 9 posts
HI All,
My folks are entering the 21st Century and have now got BB installed. The only problem is the computer they have has been password protected by my niece, a few years ago. And I'm pretty sure she won't remember the password, so I wondered whether there was any way I could access the computer and remove her password setting? I tried getting onto the computer setup (delete on bot) but couldn't really see where I could do this. There are also 2 other user accounts on the PC which are not password protected, could I access the registry and do something there?
Oh, alomost forgot, they are using Windows XP. So they've got BB but can't use it.... frustrating.

Cheers
Andy

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am afraid that it is something this site does not explain because of possible missuse by others readings of this post, if the important stuff on the computer can be stored elsewhere then one can reformat the computer, but first try and see if the computer works with broadband because if for example it is a router that you are using then the password should not matter since one is no longer using a dail up password if that is the password you mean by passworded here.

AndyD

AndyD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There are 2 other active "guest" accounts on the PC, I tried to install the BB software onto the PC last night but just get informed that the account does not have enough privileges to install software. Is there another way to establish whether the computer is compatible with BB?

Cheers
Andy

PS
If anyone would care to PM me a solution please feel free to do so. Otherwise I guess the only option would be to install a new OS, but can I do this when I can't get access to the computer without the password? In the Setup on booting I could add a Supervisor password, but not exactly sure what importance/function this has.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As fleamailman said, it is against the ToS of G2G to help with the bypassing of any password. Though your intentions may be genuine, someone else who stumbles upon this thread may have motives that are less then genuine. As such I am now closing this topic. I hope you understand.

Fenor