Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memtest Question.

• Please log in to reply

sonyc888

sonyc888

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so I have just ran memtest not for any particular reason, my computer runs great playing the newest games like FEAR and WOW ect. But just to see. Anyway while running i get like 1-3 error messages sometimes i get none, but it always crashes at about test #7 or the end of test #6. Ive switched the memory sticks in different slots, tried one at a time in different slots, and cannot get an accurate idea of what the problem is.

Also i've downloaded memtest.exe from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and i ran that all night last night it had like 1850% ran with no errors. it says after 100% or after an hour it should give some accurate results if u have bad ram.

All in all, im not too worried about it because my machine runs perfectly fine, it shows that i DO have 1GB of ram in the computer, as well as when doing the windowsvista check it shows i have 1gb ram and says i can run vista.

What could be the issue? is something possibly wrong? or is it crashing due to incompatability issues with the MB/processor or something?

Specs are MB:ASUS P4C800-E Delux, Processor:P4 2.8 HT, 2x512MB DDR PC2700 Corsair Ram chips.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could be a bad "burn" of memtest...or a corrupted image....
you could try the microsoft mem tester http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp as well...i'd say that 2 good tests outweigh one problematic one

sonyc888

sonyc888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so i ran the mem test from http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp is this very inaccurate?

Ok so the first test i ran, with both sticks in, pass number 1,2,3,4,7,9 have errors.

So i take 1 stick out run the test passes 3 whole passes.

Swap the other stick in the same slot removing the 1st stick. it passes 1 pass 2nd timer around it fails 1 thing, 3rd 4th and 5th time it passes.

Every thing that failed on either of the tests were either MATS+ Expected 40404040 Actual 40404041 or WINVC expected 40404040 actual 40404041.

So stick #1 in Slot #1 passed 3 out of 3 passes. Stick #2 in Slot #1 Passed 4 times and failed once. What does that tell me? Im going to test them both in the other slot.

sonyc888

sonyc888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so in the other slot the same hting the 1 ram chip passed like 5 passes, the other chip failed like 2 out of 6 passes. so does that mean its bad?

Passes are a series of 6 tests go if it passes 4 times through test 1-6 and fails 2 times, why is it that inconsistant? im not noticing any problems while playing games or surfng the web or doing anything on the PC.... should i trash the ram? or use it untill something worse occurs? I think its working fine as of now.

Thanks guys.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could be that that ram is faulty (or heading in that direction), it could be that the ram is fine...and has something about it that fails on that test built in by the manufacturer..it could be that the ram has test anxiety and didn't study?..i'm one to use something till complete failure...so it's up to you if you replace it now...i say if you're not seeing something wrong right now...to chalk it up as an inconsistnacy and move on until something get's worse? but it's up to you