Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a web server locally

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everybody,

OK I'm running Windows XP Home edition with SP2 installed.

First off I have to say that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I'm giving it one $&^%#@ of a try. I'm trying to follow the setup instructions "Here".

I fought my way through step one and was successful in that part but now I'm kind of stuck in 'Step two' and am about to go insane trying to figure this out.

These instruction --> run ./configure && make. Then mkdir hidserv, cd hidserv, and run "../thttpd -p 5222 -h localhost". It will give you back your prompt, and now you're running a webserver on port 5222 <-- in the second paragraph are kind of throwing me as they appear to be have been written for Unix or OS X and not for Windows.

I say that because it lists those two operating systems at the start of that paragraph, not because I know what I'm looking at.

The next paragraph suggests downloading one of two Server programs, I tried Apache but couldn't get the darned thing to unzip all of its files like it was supposed to so I uninstalled/deleted it and tried Savant, it seems to have worked.

The next part of the instructions is --> be sure to configure it to bind only to localhost. You should also figure out what port you're listening on, because you'll use it below. <--

Well seeing as how I'm suffering from 'The Dumb Blond Syndrome' I have got to ask "How the heck do I do that?" I can't find anything that tells me how to find the localhost let alone how to bind anything to it or how to figure out which port my computer uses to listen on.

Step three three seems to give me a clue because it refers me back to step one and tells me to change this entry -->

HiddenServiceDir C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\hidden_service\
HiddenServicePort 80 www.google.com:80 <-- to read --> change the HiddenServicePort line from "www.google.com:80" to "localhost:5222".

OK, to me the original line is telling me that my PC listens on Port 80, because when I followed the instructions I went to Google's page like I was supposed to, however, after I made that change all I get is page cannot be displayed.

Question: How do I find my localhost so that I can bind it like I'm supposed to, and how the heck do I figure out which port my PC listens on?

Thanks to anyone that might be able to give me any help.

♥ Wendy

Advertisements