Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Fixers/Cleaners are really effective?

• Please log in to reply

Tiberium

Tiberium

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi there! I am wondering if registry fixers/cleaners are worth to install?? I have Registry Fixer v.4.0, and everytime I run it, most of errors it detects are in its own folder! It seems very ineffective... here is an attached screenshot with the errors detected.

registryfixer.JPG

PS: by the way, I searched out but I couldnt find any topic related in general with xp essential software, although I would like to know what software should I have to a better security system? I have a firewall (sygate), antivirus (avast!), antispyware (spy sweeper). Do I need more applications? Or it's just okay like this?? thanks in advance. Marco.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
When I create a new folder on my desktop a registry entry is created for that folder. If I move it to My Documents, another registry entry is created, and the first one becomes invalid. When I ask for that folder, XP finds both entries, but in mere nanosecends has discovered that the first is invalid and jumps to the correct one. Is the first entry an "error?" Registry "cleaners" would say so. Will it cause any problems? It takes tons (and tons) of invalid registry entries before any noticable effect on XP performance. I have read posts from Microsoft MVPs who claim to have been using a system for years without ever cleaning the Registry. I have also read posts from users titled something like "Registry fatally overcleaned!" CCleaner is a free utility that will remove lots of junk from your system, and also safely "clean" the registry under "Issues." Take a little time to configure CCleaner, and do not have it clean the Prefetch file. That will only slow down your program launches the next three times you open them. Whenever making any changes (or deletions) to your Registry always make a backup. CCleaner offers this as default. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Tiberium

Tiberium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

When I create a new folder on my desktop a registry entry is created for that folder. If I move it to My Documents, another registry entry is created, and the first one becomes invalid. When I ask for that folder, XP finds both entries, but in mere nanosecends has discovered that the first is invalid and jumps to the correct one. Is the first entry an "error?" Registry "cleaners" would say so. Will it cause any problems? It takes tons (and tons) of invalid registry entries before any noticable effect on XP performance. I have read posts from Microsoft MVPs who claim to have been using a system for years without ever cleaning the Registry. I have also read posts from users titled something like "Registry fatally overcleaned!" CCleaner is a free utility that will remove lots of junk from your system, and also safely "clean" the registry under "Issues." Take a little time to configure CCleaner, and do not have it clean the Prefetch file. That will only slow down your program launches the next three times you open them. Whenever making any changes (or deletions) to your Registry always make a backup. CCleaner offers this as default. http://www.ccleaner.com/

first of all, thanks for the reply.

I had a glance to ccleaner and I saw nothing special with the application itself. Almost everything that it cleans, can be directed clean in internet options on IE tools menu. So is it really necessary? Or am I missing something?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

i use ccleaner all the time, one off my personal favourites does a nice clean of the registry also, and never had a problem.

but i have with other registry cleaners were thay have wrecked havoc. but thats my opinion

CCleaner (short for Crap Cleaner) does a safe and nice job of cleaning a system of useless miscellaneous information that seems to be collected by Windows in all sorts of places.

have you tried it ?

cheers...xxx1

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think the rule of thumb should be is something wrong happening, all too often we are dealing with posters who have thought that a few seconds off the boot to post time is worth it only to find that they have messed up the system; however, if the computer is rebooting by itself, not shutting down, or is clearly showing signs of something wrong happening etc., then a spring clean(1) of the computer is called for and it should be total. Anyway, if the regediting goes wildly wrong the is always system restore(2), repair with CD(3)and even reinstalling the os afresh(4,in the worse case) so it is not the end of the world, I recommend that all members know how to do these four numbered things then.