Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I went and removed myself from admin rights on xp pro

• Please log in to reply

AleksisMichael

AleksisMichael

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Basicly one day i was going along... well background first, ok I have a dell laptop rather rather shiny new and its fun and stuff, ive been playing with a few various software titles, bbut i think i got my problem from a crash or who knows what, basicly it stoped logging me on automaticly and my only having setup one user account i thought it would always log me on automaticly... but it stoppd doing that and me being somewhat lethargic i went lookd it up on the internet and found a way to continue having it boot up and auto logon, i just typed *control userpasswords2* into the run text and it brought to a nifti screen at which i lookd aroun awhile followed the web instructions more or less and ended up doing something i forget what preciesly but i logged off, and logged back on after reseting my account.

Sadly i neglected to give my new reset account admin rights... and i dont care to really reinstall windows onto the laptop.... i could but help thats simple without completely uprooting my harddrive or software would be rather nice.... tongiht if possible :whistling:

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi and welcome to g2g,

If this is the install that came on the machine you should be able to log out of your account. You should then be at the Fast user switching screen. Hold the Ctrl+Alt and press the Delete key twice. You should have the classic log in screen up now. For the user name type in "administrator" (no quotes) and click OK. Dell I think doesn't password the administrator account in Pro so you should be in to the admin account. You should be able to go to Start /Control Panel /User Accounts and reinstate the admin rights on your regular account. HTH

AleksisMichael

AleksisMichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HTANKS, i did something similar, i just created another account... i had mispelled administrator as administrater when trying to use it before :whistling: thanks for the correct method.

Love you everyone