Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

rosso5792

rosso5792

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello everyone, i'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and i was looking at the following card http://www.overclock...rodid=GX-034-BG i am thinking of buying it but i would like some questions answered by all you wiz-kids out there :whistling:.

My computer spec at the moment is:

AMD 64 3500+
Geforce 6600 PCI-E 128mb
1 GB memory
Windows xp home
550w PSU
200GB harddrive

My first question is, will the card i'm going to buy be compatible with my computer specs?.
My second question is, i've never installed a graphics card before and wondering if someone can give me tips or link me to some useful website on what i will need to do.

Thanks in advance

rosso5792

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yep that card is compatible, just make sure you have a PCI-e connector on your PSU. Installing a a graphics card is really simple, just take the old one out, slot the new one in and plug the PCI-e lead from the PSU into it. Then install the drivers (it's best to get the latest ones from the nvidia website). That's it :whistling:

rosso5792

rosso5792

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thank you for your help mate. So basically all i need to do is take the power cable out the back of my old card and take the card out, then just put the new card in and put the cable in the back of that and thats it? :whistling: .

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will work although in that price range i would go for an x1950pro or XT they have an edge although it only just but you can get them cheaper or about the same price and personally i prefer the way they perform they produce better image quality frames aren't always quite as high as nvidia but there isn't much in it and they are more stable and look better on the screen which to me is more important they handle AA and HDR better. I also would not spend to much with dx10 cards out and more coming they are alot better and will only depress older model prices as well.

You might want to shop around as well OCUK is good and i bought something from them only last week but they arent the cheapest.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Thank you for your help mate. So basically all i need to do is take the power cable out the back of my old card and take the card out, then just put the new card in and put the cable in the back of that and thats it? :whistling: .

Yep, then just install the drivers for the new card.

rosso5792

rosso5792

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :whistling:.