Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD 16x burning at 8X

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I recently purchased the Samsung SH-S162L DVD writer which is an OEM product. The specs of the burner say that it writes DVD -R/+R at 16x, so i went ahead and purchased a 25 DVD-R disc pack capable of 16x. However when i started burning discs, using Nero Express 6, I found that I was unable to select a writing speed higher than 8x (either 4x or 8x). Why am I getting half the speed that Im supposed to be getting?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The writer will read the disk to see what writing speed it is made for and adjust for that. Sometimes drives need their software updated.

This website shows that most drives really don't make the 16X anyway.

http://www.anandtech...a...i=2260&p=13

I personally like to burn at 8X because it burns better and is only a couple of minutes slower than 16X.

SRX660

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
But does this give me the right to go to the store and get my money back? This is false advertising.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

But does this give me the right to go to the store and get my money back?

No because the literature (for the drive and the discs) usually state that the burning speed is up to 16x, and not at 16x.

Edited by Neil Jones, 28 January 2007 - 04:54 AM.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm glad you brought that up. I bought an OEM version drive, so i got just the drive itself with a Nero CD, no documentation which says "up to 16X". Just says on the drive itself "16X DVD -R/+R". The discs I purchased were probably not the best quality but the label of the pack also does not say "up to 16X" anywhere, just says "DVD-R 16X" flat out, it also says "A+ Grade Guaranteed"!!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When it comes to the disks i am picky about them. I will generally only buy Imation or TDK branded cd disks. I have had problems with the other brands on older drives. The newer drives it don't seem to matter much. On DVD disks i generally only use the Ridata disks as they are the taiyo yuden made. I also use the TDK branded dvd disks as i don't have any problems with them.They are all about the same price at around $26 per 100 for the dvd's.

On drives i really don't think it matters much either even tho i tend to buy the NEC drivesfor dvd's. For CD drives i usually pick the lite-on's. Best prices and i've never had any problems with them.

The worst problems i have is trying to get branded drives out of fried computers to work in other computers. There must be things left out of the drives that they don't work as well as the aftermarket ones. i have a H-L cd-rw out of a e-machines computer that worked fine in it but has problems with any other motherboard, weird, EH!

SRX660

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
How much RAM and cpu are required for 16x writing? I have 512mb RAM and 2.6Ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

How much RAM and cpu are required for 16x writing? I have 512mb RAM and 2.6Ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor.

hi,

what you have meets the requirements for 16xwriting, but more memory would be an extra bonus depending on how much you would want to spend.

cheers...xxx1

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok people, I took SRX660's advice and coughed up some cash for an Imation 16X DVD+R disc. It made and instant difference, Nero now allows me to burn at 4x 8x 12x and 16x, as opposed to only 4x and 8x on the cheaper brand. This truly does show, you get what you pay for.

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies.