Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

active restore

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
power went out a day ago and when i turned it back on i got this and this error

Posted Image

how do i fix it?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am assuming you can get past the screen to continue using windows.

This can usually be fixed by deleting the desktop.htt file:
1. Start explorer
2. Go to systemroot(usually the "C" drive)\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
3. Select Desktop.htt and change file extension to .old
(it is a hidden file so you will need to change the view first View - Folder Options - View)
4. Close Explorer
5. Right click on the desktop and choose Refresh

SRX660

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well i can put my old pic but it wont fix the prob tho

and i cant find the desktop.htt and i always set my comps to veiw all hidden folders

Edited by paradien, 27 January 2007 - 08:58 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will probably need to do a repair install to fix your problem.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

SRX660

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hmm well now that i boot up i dont get that any more, i havent followed thos procedures but ever since that power outage my comp is not performing as it once was, like it could do much as it was but it should handle what i do but it loves to lock up now and then , more than often

i run a p5nwd2-sli asus mobo with a p4 ht, asus en6600 gt, western digital wb2000jb i belive

Edited by paradien, 01 February 2007 - 08:09 AM.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
would this also remove my drives to other apps not related to windows , like the one to my asus en 6600 gt?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A repair install usually does not make any changes except to the windows files. It should not bother your other applications, but it is alway a good idea to backup anything you think is not worth losing. Better to be safe than sorry.

SRX660

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well now i got a prob, after i did that it keeps repeating this after it boots

Posted Image

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are having a hardware problem. There is no way to check things easily over a internet connection. Personally i would suggest taking the computer to a shop that can look at it to determine the problem.

If a computer does not even start to install windows but instead just goes into a continious loop of restarting then usually the problem lies in the memory, video card, or the hard drive.

To try fixing the problem you will need to do a chkdsk /r in recovery console.(see at bottom to start RC)

start > run
chkdsk /r
<enter>

This will result in a command line appearing and a notification that Windows cannot check the volume because it is unlocked. Windows will ask if it should check the volume the next time you reboot. Reply yes (y), and reboot.

There are several switches to use with the chkdsk command, but the two most relevant ones are /f and /r. Think of /f as a simple check, and /r as a simple check plus. The /r switch will take a much longer time to check the disk. The list of switches is:

* /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. It implies the /f switch (see below). The disk must be locked.
* /f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked.

To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:
• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

SRX660

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well ,i cant get to the desk top, boot up from the cd has changed, after i hit r for recover i get black and white textt, it ask me for the admin pass, i dont know it, it restarts cuase i dont know it, when i first booted up it did a chkdsk
it didnt do any thing

im completly lost now