Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp wont post/display anything

• Please log in to reply

tabris

tabris

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought a bunch of computer parts at frys and put it all together, and when I pressed power the fans would start to spin that stop. I know I have everything connected fine so i took the built system to where I bought it and they said the PSU is dead.

I got a working psu, went home, turned on the system I built and now the power holds, all fans spin, cpu and case, dvd/cd rom opens, but no image is displayed on the screen, its just black, tried several monitors.

I tried erasing cmos, but taking out battery and also putting on the jumper on MOBO. I am using VGA to the Onboard Video graphics Geforce 6100 le. I cant get anything not even bios or startup to post.

Since I know its not the psu cause the first one is bad, I believe its either the mobo or cpu. When i put in a ps2 key board the lights do not power on (num lock / caps lock). Im going to take it all back for a 3rd run at frys and have them test my mobo and cpu but do you guys have any idea?

Specs

Gigabyte nforce 430 mobo (pci-e 16x 2 pci slots 1x pci-e) mATX

p150 antec with Neo HE power

onboard video

2 512 (1gb) corsair XMS twin x 2 pc 667

500gb maxtor 16mb cache sata 300 HD

3800+ amd 64 x2 socket am2 processor

thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a new build troubleshooting guide that may help.
http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html

tabris

tabris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I went back to the retail store I bought my components, tested my mobo with their processor and 1 stick of my ram, worked, tried my processor my mobo and my 1 stick of ram worked, tried my OTHER stick of ram, failed, I had one bad stick of ram................

Got two new matched pairs, both worked indiviually and together, I must be really unlucky to get 1 bad stick out of 2 ram, and a bad PSU.... Glad I didnt buy online, or maybe if I had it wouldnt be dead?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Got two new matched pairs, both worked indiviually and together, I must be really unlucky to get 1 bad stick out of 2 ram, and a bad PSU.... Glad I didnt buy online, or maybe if I had it wouldnt be dead?

Components usually get fed down the distribution chain in batches and it occasionally happens that you have a bad batch of components. If your shop has inadvertently sold you faulty hardware that's come brand new, its unfortunate but that's just the way it is and that's why you have warranties, cooling off periods and consumer protection legislation. Therefore you claim under them as needs be until you get some working hardware and the shop sends them all back for replacement.

Most components get faulty en route to the suppliers due to the way the couriers manhandled the packages, but its not unknown for them to be dead as soon as they leave the production factory, you don't know until you shove it in a computer to try it, anything up to a few months since it was originally put together by somebody who may no longer work at the production factory anyway.