Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How important is the computer manufacturer if the specs are what I wan

• Please log in to reply

Kristelle X

Kristelle X

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone... I'd reeeeally like some advice. I'm looking to buy a new computer capable of gaming & running Windows Vista... so I need it to be pretty high performance. Of course, I'd like to stay on a budget as much as possible... so searching around I found a computer with the option to make payments in installments. It seems to have pretty much everything I need, all I'll need to add are video and sound cards. I will post the specs below.

My main question is just what the subject line says... how important is the manufacturer of the computer? This one is made by a company called Mirus who I can't seem to find much information on. A few sites have suggested that users "stay away" from Mirus, but I'm not sure if that's only because of customer support issues, or if it has something to do with the computer actually breaking down or something drastic like that.

So, if the computer has all the right hardware in it, does it really matter who put it together? If it DOES make a huge difference going with Mirus, what kind of risk am I taking? Should I just spend big bucks up front and stick with a big name company (Dell, Gateway, Alienware)? Or should I just build it myself? It would be really cool if I could get this one on the payment plan lol...

Here are the specs:

Processor
Hardware Platform PC
Model E6300
Brand Intel Core Duo
System bus 1066 MHz

Memory
Type DDR2 SDRAM
RAM 2048MB
RAM expandable to 2048 MB
Cache 2MB
Memory card reader 7 in 1
Compatible with CF1/2, MS, MS Pro, SD MMC,, MD

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Interface IDE
Size/speed 500GB 7200RPM

Optical Drives
Optical Drive 1 DVD+/-RW Drive
Optical Drive 2 DVD

Ports
USB 8 (2 Front and 6 rear)
USB Type 2.0
Parallel 1
Audio 1
Video 1

Internet/Network
Modem v.92 compatible data/fax modem

Additional Features
Graphics/Video Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3000
Audio 8 Channel Dolby Home Theater

Accessories Included
Keyboard PS/2 keyboard
Mouse PS/2 optical mouse
Speakers 2.0 Stereo, 1-watt per channel

Printer Details
Color print speed up to 17ppm

Warranty
Parts One Year Limited
Labor One Year Limited

Software
Operating system Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Home

Monitor Sizes
19" LCD 19" LCD

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its fairly important although only so far as getting quality parts if you know what is getting put in(including the make and exact model of parts) then its less important but most you only get a rough spec so you are relying on them using quality parts in your system.

For what you want though that system wont be up to much its severely lacking in the gfx department, also it uses an IDE hard drive most definitely old tech and it says the memory is only expandable to 2Gb which it allready has that means no room for upgrade and probably either a very cheap motherboard or a smaller size of motherboard.

Kristelle X

Kristelle X

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow, thank you! That was an extremely helpful post.