Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a HP Pavilion XT963 that when I turn it on it, it's on like 10 seconds and then it makes a click sound and the light goes out. But the fan still runs and the monitor light goes orange too. Anyone know what it could be?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
could be a number of things, but i would suspect a hardware problem. Bad memory, bad hard drive, or a bad video card to start with.

SRX660

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I left it for a few months and dug it back out to mess with and it started working, I left it for a couple of weeks and it did it again. The only thing that I could find on it was maybe the memory was either bad or loose, so tomorrow I will get it out again and see if that does anything.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I tried it again and now it will go to the window saying, "Windows is starting up" and stays on that. It won't do anything else, so I system restored it back to factory and and it is working now. I did that a few months ago and it did the same thing but when I turned it off and back on a couple of weeks later it did the same thing it's doing now. I will turn it off later and see if it will come back on.

Edited by Area 51, 03 February 2007 - 12:54 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might see if you can replace the cmoc battery(about the size of a penny and looks like one too) on the motherboard. It sounds like the CMOS battery has gone dead.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 03 February 2007 - 02:17 PM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well I turned it off several times and it came on everytime, hopefully it will keep working. I will replace the battery too just in case, what does it actually do? And thanks for your help SRX660.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor, or CMOS, typically refers to a battery-powered memory chip in your computer that stores startup information. Your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) uses this information when starting your computer.
hope this answers your your question (what does it actually do)

cheers...xxx1

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes it does, thank you very much.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well I have a update on my situation; I turned it off and the next day it did the same thing it did the first time it messed up. So I thought well I will reboot it again and it went to system recovery, then it said it was unable to recover so I clicked " OK ". Then I went to restart it and now it shows the " HP VENT " blue window and then goes to a flashing underscore like this _. It does this on F2, F8, and F10, the only one it doesn't do it on is F1 the BIOS, so I think now my OS is gone so I don't think I will waste my time on it anymore. What do some of you think?