Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32bit and 64bit of vista - whats the difference

• Please log in to reply

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
hi just a quick question, whilst i was browing microsoft vista on the net i noticed there are two different versions the 32bit version and 64bit version but whats the difference? :whistling:

Advertisements

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
32 bit is the most coomon version, all software is compatible. the 64bit makes use of 64 bit compatible processors and is said to be faster. but downside is many games are not 64bit compatible yet that will come along with newer vista compatible games

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pretty much everything including games will run on 64 bit as its backwards compatible with 32bit and there wont be a decrease in performance. True 64bit applications will have better performance than 32bit ones but there arent that many of them around.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
64-bit also requires digitally signed drivers, and will prevent malicious code from accessing certain areas of the CPU to cause a buffer-overrun. It's more secure, but the current lack of digitally signed drivers are a real problem. You also can't upgrade to 64-bit, it has to be a clean install.

If you buy the full retail, or retail upgrade versions of Vista you'll get both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I'd wait and install the 64-bit version when driver and application support is better.