Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symantec Antivirus cannot scan past this one folder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

waahooo

waahooo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
When I try scanning my C drive using symantec, it gets to this folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" and then it just stops. The specific file that it stops at is temp:4B7BEAFF, but I can't seem to find that file anywhere. The only way I can scan my entire computer is to exclude that folder in a custom scan. The results show no viruses. The Panda scan in the "You must read this before posting" post scanned my entire computer well enough and found no problems either. But symantec pauses at temp:4B7BEAFF and says scan complete, though I know it's not.

My computer doesn't have any big problems (that I know of), but this has been bothering me. If this is an issue I can ignore, then that's fine by me. But if this turns out to be something bad, please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hello waahooo and welcome to the G2G HijackThis forum. Let's see what is on this system

Download WinPFind3U.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named WinPFind3u on your desktop.
  • Open the WinPFind3u folder and double-click on WinPFind3U.exe to start the program.
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Use the Add Reply button and Copy/Paste the information back here. I will review it when it comes in. If, after posting, the last line is not < End of Report > then the log is too big to fit into a single post and you will need to split it into multiple posts.

Cheers.

OT

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the advice, but I formatted the hard drive with the problem the other day so the problem's gone. I'll download this program anyway just in case it happens again in the future. By the way, what does it do?

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Hi waahooo. That's one way to clean a system :whistling:

WinPFind3u is just a scanner that looks at alot of different system settings and produces a log that an analyst at a site like this can review to see what is going on in a system

Since this issue is now resolved I will close this topic. If you have any malware related questions or issues in the future please start a new topic.

Cheers and Happy Computing!

OT

OldTimer

OldTimer

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 3,273 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.