Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

fugee

fugee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
when i start my computer im getting an error saying NTLDR is missing press ctrl,alt,del to restart and when i do this i get the same error. i have changed some settings in the bios but it made no diffrnce so i reset it. i cant get the computer to read the windows xp disk before this error comes up. i have formatted the harddrive on a diffrent machine.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, Fugee.

NTLDR is Missing
Press any key to restart

Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR
Please insert another disk

Cause:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
6. New hard disk drive being added.
7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

When your computer starts, the BIOS attempts to find the primary hard drive's active partition to read the first sector for the MBR (Master Boot Record), it uses that info to load the rest of the OS. For Windows NT4/2k/XP the NTLDR (New Technology Loader) takes it from there. If you get the "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" what's most likely going on is the BIOS either didn't look for the right drive, didn't find the right partition, it wasn't active, didn't find the MBR, or the MBR didn't list NTLDR in the right place, the location of NTLDR changed, or you are looking at a hardware failure situation (memory/cables/drive/motherboard/etc).

ANSWERS

http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

http://tinyempire.co...drismissing.htm

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
For anyone who is reading this thread and has an NT system on a FAT32 partititon, NEVER use a Windows98 system to defragment your drive. It will move NTLDR and you will encounter this problem.

fugee

fugee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling:
ive formated the harddrive to fat 32 on one of my working pc`s and now when i switch the broken pc on it comes up with operating system missing. it doesnt load the xp cd thats in even when i told the bios to load cd drive first or second?