Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Configuration Utility Error Message

• Please log in to reply

Kevin S.

Kevin S.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to search this question before this post, but was unsuccessful. Here is the issue: When I attempt to uncheck items and perform a selective startup, I get the following message: "An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I am the Administrator! What is the answer to this issue?

Thanks,

Kevin

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Check my sig and use "Windows Startup Inspector Download"

or.....

use (sounds like you already are trying it tho) start>run>msconfig

There's a bunch of programs out there that will remove startup programs and allow only the ones you choose. :whistling:

Kevin S.

Kevin S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I finally got this issue resolved. I hope my reply is of value to someone else. I took my computer to one of the local computer shops, and they resolved the issue by removing the McAfee Security Suite that was installed on my computer. The tech said that McAfee had my registry locked down, and would not allow me to make any changes to the System Configuration Utility. This especially concerns me, considering that I contacted McAfee about the issue and they took the position that their program was not a part of the issue. I now have AVG 7.5 Professional Edition installed, and my computer even runs better now! The tech told me that McAfee is heavy on the computer's resources. I really hope this post is of value to someone else that may be experiencing parallel type issues.