Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Secondary Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hi guys (and gals).

I've had a trawl through the forums and can't really find an answer to my problem.

Which is - I've just installed a second Hard Drive inside my Desktop pc. The drive is a Western Digital Caviar 320 Gb.

When attempting to format it (via Computer Management > Disk Management it only shows available space as 120Gb - less than half of what it should be.

I gather Windows 2000 sometimes (always?) imposes a limit of about 120Gb regardless of physical disk size, but also I gather there are workarounds to overcome this limit.

pc spec is as follows:

Processor: Pentium P4 2.4GHz
Motherboard: DFI Lan Party PRO087
Ram: 1.5Gb
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX440

Hope that's enough information, thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Jonesey, 29 January 2007 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...make sure that the drive isn't jumpered as "size limited" or capacity llimited...or however they word it

second go here http://support.wdc.c...downloadxml.asp and get the proper version of their data lifeguard utility...this will help you initialize the drive..(unless your drive came with a CD...if it did...this program is what's on it)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First off you have to have at least Service Pack 3 with Win2K for it to see drives larger than 137gb, and the last service pack released was 4, which I highly reccomend you have. Also, after SP4 is installed the Windows Update site will install many updates which are known collectively as SP5, but I don't know if it is available as a CD. You can get sp4 as a CD, or just use the executable that is on a Win2K disk. That's the way it is installed, as an .exe file that you run. You may be able to get SP4 from the Windows Update site, I haven't checked on that.

OOPS! sorry, didn't see you have SP4 already.

Edited by Tyger, 29 January 2007 - 02:35 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gah....yeah that too....i should stop assuming that people just keep their machiines updated ;p

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
what about this then as part of the problem:

this explains the fun world of harddrive marketing

example:.
I have two SATA Seagate harddrives(ST3160827AS) both 160 GBs.
but in 'my computers', it say both hard drives only have a capacity of 160,039,239,680 bytes (149GBs), so where is the 11 gigs on both drives

answer
the HD manufactures puts it as:
1000 bytes=kilobyte,
1000K=megabyte, and
1000MB=1Gigabyte.

whareas really it's:
1024 bytes=kilobyte
1024K=megabyte
1024MB=1Gigabyte.

calculation: 160X1000X1000X1000/1024/1024/1024=~149GB

Edited by fleamailman, 29 January 2007 - 03:24 PM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

first...make sure that the drive isn't jumpered as "size limited" or capacity llimited...or however they word it

second go here http://support.wdc.c...downloadxml.asp and get the proper version of their data lifeguard utility...this will help you initialize the drive..(unless your drive came with a CD...if it did...this program is what's on it)

Great result thanks! All up and running, now have a new 'D' drive with 232Gb formatted space!

You guys are worth your weight in gold.

Thanks again.

Colin