Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-mail pictures

• Please log in to reply

Jecakias

Jecakias

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I open some e-mails and also some web pages I cannot see the pictures. Instead I get a box where the picture should be with a little box in the upper right corner with a red "X" in it. Does anybody know how to correct this? Any help would be appreciated.
Jecakias

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Which particular OS are you having this problem? Getting the "little red x" instead of images has been a security setting in XP SP2. Can also depend on which browser you use and the settings/preferences you have set for it. I can shut my images, flash, etc. off in Firefox for example.

Ron

Jecakias

Jecakias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Using 98SE on this computer and 2000 on another. They both have the same problem.
Jecakias

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you using a Firewall or "filtering software"?

Several of these are known to cause problems:

1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and "Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS)[Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content - "Allow All Script To Execute" Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit encryption Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referrer" or contains entries that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following registry entry is not corrupt:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME
Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;)

Other checks/info including M$ Links which you need to read and apply if necessary :

There are many possible causes and solutions. Try the quick, easy fix first. Clear the IE cache from IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files and Delete offline content. Reset the TIF folder size to about 50MB (Settings button) and clear it occasionally.

Also, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

and press OK.

Next...

283807 - Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
M$ Support Note: Repairing IE instead of reinstalling may work

194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool (Windows 95,98,98SE,ME,NT4-SP1,SP2,2000-SP1,SP2)
M$ Support

318378 - How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP: M$ Support

221134 - Some Images, Contents, or Controls May Not Be Displayed When
M$ Support

Windows XP SP2:

Pictures do not appear as expected, or you receive an error message when you open an HTML file on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
M$ Support