Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new built computer help!

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i am building my own computer and i have a asus p5gdc mobo and a intel p4 530j processor. my case has a 400 watt ps but i dont know brand. its supposed to be made for p4 processors though. the model number is lpk2-30. anyway, i installed all hardware and set up the computer. but when i turn in on, the led light on the mother board turns on and the psu fan and the procesor heatsink fan spins for like 2 seconds, stops, and keeps going like that. i dont understand the problem. no picture or nothing and nothing starts up.

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hmm.. What model is your Computer Case? If it's one of those really cool viper cases. Then it might be a problem with you motherboard. My friend just had the same problem. If its not a viper...

What are some other symptoms? Does it beep when you turn it on (this indicates your RAM is bad or is not inserted properly). Also check your IDDE Cables. Make sure that IDDE #1 is connected to your hard-drive and not your CD-ROM.

If you suspect the power-supply. Check the voltage switch found on the back of you computer case where the power-supply is located, and ONLY IF YOU ARE FIMILIAR WITH POWER-SUPPLIES check the fuse. This is not difficult, but DO NOT EVER in any instance mess with a power-supply further than this. Unless you are ceritfied to. A power-supply holds enough power to kill a person. Even when it is turned off and unplugged.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I would check all of the above that Lightninghawk has listed- also try it with other memory if u have it around or other harddrives- if you get no picture it could also be ur memory card-- but then again it doesnt sound like that problem- take out all non essentials like audio cards and all other pci cards and only leave your processer, memory, video and harddrive and see if it will boot up then- cd drives are fine to leave it

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i get no beep noises so its not the memory. i have a linkworld case. but yea, just the fans spin and stop in like a span of 2 seconds continously. i messed around wit the jumpers but nuttin. i dont know if the ps is faulty or not, but can it be if i do get a liitle bit of power? but my cousin said my processor could be faulty but i dont know if that could be a likely cause or not? and i have a 400 wat psu like i said before but i dont more about it. check out that model number if you want to know more plz. plz help me, i want to start using this nice machine.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm not sure about the problem being your CPU it's possible but it should affect your fans. Wait I remember from my SkillsUSA competition that we had a similiar problem. Make sure that your floppy drive is connected properly. :tazz: to the motherboard and the powersupply. This would cause the same symptoms as you described. Try it and let me know how it turns out.

The Lightninghawk

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i took all the other devices (hdd, floppy, cd-rom off) and have just the motherboard, cpu, and memory installed into the case. and it doesnt turn on. do i need to have the floppy connected for my system to boot. cause on my laptop, when i took out my floppy, i got only an error that said no floppy and i couldnt get further.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz:

i got only an error that said no floppy and i couldnt get further

You can disable floppy seek in the BIOS, but I doubt that's the problem.

If you're not getting ANY beeps, then BIOS isn't posting. I'd start by clearing the BIOS. Either short the jumper on the BIOS, or remove the battery for five minutes (with the power disconnted).

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image

If clearing the BIOS doesn't work, you probably have a DOA (dea on arrival) power supply or motherboard. Most likely the PS.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm not sure... :S Seems like your floppy doesn't have to be connected. I tried it on mine last night and it booted fine. Your computer just doesn't like you. :tazz:

I'm going to ask a couple of friends for suggestions. Also I'll let a couple other techs in here know about your problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Remove the mobo from the case, place on a piece of cardboard and connect only the cpu with fan/heatsink,ram,video card, psu,case speaker and switch. Then connect monitor,keyboard and mouse (ps2)

Verify jumper settings on mobo
Verify the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on mobo
Verify the 4 pin connection from the psu to mobo is connected (in addition to the 20 pin of course)

If no go trouble shoot/swap out psu.
If no go post back

Rick

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
As always, good advice Doby! :tazz:

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks Doby, As you can see I'm kind of stumped on this one. I'm not great with hardware, but I do know a lot about it and I keep on trying :tazz: ;)...

Hope this works though. Because I'm almost out of ideas.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
doby your da man. i got the fans to spin nicely now, but i havent tried hook up anything else. but....wut is the problem. why wont it work in the case?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok connect the components listed above out of the case the idea here is to get a post and boot into bios. If you get into bios check the cpu temp 42c or lower would be good but anything under 50c is will work for now. Let it idle in bios for 20 or 30 minutes if cpu temp stays normal.

You most likely had a case short most times this ia caused by a standoff in a bad place and touching the underside of the mobo. You have to check this carefully and make sure all standoffs line up with screwholes in the mobo.

If you accomplish the above then its time to install in the case again, once in the case try to boot into bios just to make sure, at this point I usually install the drives and run memtest for three passes for a quick check before loading the OS.

Lightninghawk you don't have to know everthing thats why we work as a team :tazz: Now lets hope we can get neilp4453 up and running.

Rick

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok, so after a while, the cpu fan stopped working. and then when i mounted hte mobo back inside the case, the fans stopped working and nothing would power up. so i brought it back out, but this time, the cpu fan didnt spin but hte psu fan did. and the area around the cpu got really hot. next sparks came out. i think the mobo may have fried because now the cpu fan wont start at all. and no fans start when my mobo is inside the case. i read something about shorts, but i tried many times and nothing. the same thing except worse since the cpu fan doesnt work.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry to say the mobo is bad and maybe the cpu to, remove the cpu and see if it looks burnt.

You should not run it if the cpu fan is not running. I suspect there had to be some sort of short or a trace on the underside of the mobo got damaged and burned thru causing the cpu fan to stop.

Rick