Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

picking out a power supply

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer (click here for thread) for a few days and the first thing I am going to try and replace is the power supply.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on what to look for in a new PSU. I would really appreciate something that saves energy, but I am not sure if there are any out there that claim too.

ALSO: Can I test my old power supply unit by removing it and just running it by itself and seeing if it turns itself off and on without anything plugged into it? That is the problem I am having with my computer, it also takes a lot of tries to start it up. It will run for a second or two and stop, then restart, and eventually it will catch and I can load Windows. It will run anywhere from two minutes to an hour or two before Windows will shut down (and temp is not the problem).

Edited by Walker, 29 January 2007 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No you cannot just take the power supply out and power it up. It needs a connection to hadrware to tell it to power up. There is a workaround for this but it does not work on all PS's

Posted Image

Usually a power supply either works or it does NOT. seldom do they run a bit and then just crash. What could be happening is the PS has a low 12 volt line that is causing the shutdown. To check this you can try downloading speedfan and install it and see what your 12 volt line is at the bottom of the first window . If it is below around 11.8 volts this is probably your problem. You can try disconnecting any printers, USB, scanners, and any external devices to see if the 12 volt line goes up. If not you probably need a higher rated PS.

I never buy cheap power supplys for my computers. I can't stand a computer that has problems staying booted up or crashes all the time. So i choose to use either enermax or silverstone power supplys. One that i have used but don't anymore because it is a very loud PS is the thermotake PS's.I have a couple in some computer and they work just fine. I just can't stand the fan noise.

http://www.newegg.co...=Power-Supplies

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 30 January 2007 - 06:40 AM.