Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to USB

• Please log in to reply

Mako Kramill

Mako Kramill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure if this is the right place. But it does kinda deal with hardware. I am purchasing a new system, and want to move files form the old computer to the new. I have heard of USB to USB transfer, but am unsure if this is 1: reliable? 2: Safe? 3: even possible.

I am jsut looking for some solid information on this before I go thru the expense of buying a Male to Male cable, I know not alot but still.

I know there is plenty of software for this as well, too much to sift thru, so if you have ideas or suggestions for transfering the files form one system tot he other I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanx, in advance.

Mako Kramill

Advertisements

BigChiefHH

BigChiefHH

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I used a flash drive. I tried to put a usb cord between two computers as well, but I was probably not doing it right, or it's not possible, because I couldn't get it to work either.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're just doing a one time transfer of files just borrow a hub from someone. If you're going to do it on a regular basis you can get, for $30-40 a device with a chip in the middle and USB connectors on both ends of the cable, essentially an FTP or HTTP link between two machines that allows you to transfer files. If you're using a router you can just transfer files over your LAN, here an FTP server installed on the machine you're moving files to, and an FTP client on the machine you're moving files from, will work very well. 100tx Ethernet and USB2.0 operate at about the same speed so choose the one that is easiest for you.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I don't know if this is possible in your situation, but would take the HDD put of the old computer and put it in the new one as a slave drive. That is generally the easiest way.
If you do not know how I, or someone, could run you through it.

Mako Kramill

Mako Kramill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you're just doing a one time transfer of files just borrow a hub from someone. If you're going to do it on a regular basis you can get, for $30-40 a device with a chip in the middle and USB connectors on both ends of the cable, essentially an FTP or HTTP link between two machines that allows you to transfer files. If you're using a router you can just transfer files over your LAN, here an FTP server installed on the machine you're moving files to, and an FTP client on the machine you're moving files from, will work very well. 100tx Ethernet and USB2.0 operate at about the same speed so choose the one that is easiest for you.

Well for me I am doing a one time to my new computer. I am the first to admit, while building a computer is pretty easy for me. The other stuff I am a moron about. And I can't seem to get a network to work properly between my wife's computer and mine. So I think the USB seems the simplest solution to me. I will also want to do this when I give my old computer to my mother as hers is even more outdated than mine now.

Thanx for you help.

Mako