Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End of support for XP?

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
With a small business running XP on all machines, and the release of Vista today, the question has come up of if support for XP will be stopped. I was under the impression that when Vista was released that support for 2000 pro was finally ending.

Does anybody know what the real story is here?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
2000 does not end till 2010. I do not know about XP.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Where did you learn that info?

And just based on that I would have to assume then that support for XP won't end untill at least 2012. But at this point im only guessing.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here: http://www.microsoft...dedsupport.mspx

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Support for XP will not end for awhile....The only kind of end of support that has ended is W98 and 2K...I'm not too sure about anything else but that is all that i know as of right now....

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Here you are RJBass! :whistling:

http://www.microsoft...dedsupport.mspx

I believe they did not release a end-support date for XP yet. They did for SP1 though. When SP3 comes out if it does in 2008, SP2 will probably end support a year later.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
sorry i didnt see that post you just posted LindaGail....my post was useless...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You were typing while I posted - no problem :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I did it too lindagail.. haha!

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
wurd. Thanks for the info. I knew that XP wouldn't end for awhile, but when you all of a sudden have 8 end users in a panic and all looking at you for answers you have to come up with some good hard info and fast.

Thanks again.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well apparently this rumor continues as I was just asked by two more people when XP was no longer going to be usable.

I told them what I knew and even referred them to this thread.

Other people are thinking that service for XP will end at the end of February and that Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers are forcing them to get some serious upgrades to their system before they spend another $200 on Vista.

When I ask them where they are hearing this they say the news, most especially CNN.

I saw several reports about Vista on CNN myself, and in none of those did they state that people would no longer be able to use XP. I was a bit irritated at the system specs they were quoting in order to run Vista as they were way to high.

I don't seem to remember this much worry when XP was released. Is anybody else hearing these rumors?

Edited by RjBass, 01 February 2007 - 12:06 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Apart from on here im not, just like you can still run 2000 now you will be able to use XP for years in the future updates will like 2000 become less frequent and major updates will stop SP3 will be the last major update in terms of adding more features but it will continue to get support for bugs and security updates for a long while after that but even after its stopped being supported you will still be able to use it and most applications for quite a while will be XP compatible as well as vista compatible.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ohhh ya I know all that. I was just curious to hear what some other might have heard in the way of false rumors. I'm finding it to be somewhat intresting now.